ESTES Express (5 Year Review)

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by KaoMinerva, Oct 3, 2018.

1. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    We don't wait for sets. We make them ourselves. We may not unload the trailers, but we do far more yard work than you'd expect.

Equipment is always a problem. We have to ask terminal staff how they are doing on empties before we take them, that sort of thing. But we make it work.

The terminal that I go to has done something smart. They had a conversation with the business across the way, and we are allowed to use their lot for our trailers. That has effectively doubled the size of the terminal.

jtaran06 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    If you run at night, that’s a good thing. If you run during the day, that could be bad.

Getting back too early means the city dispatchers will try and grab you to do God knows what.

4. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky

Same at ground. You go in to a terminal you gotta break it. We usually keep same dolly until it needs service. We all run same turn every night. Most time if no loads are ready they will send you with empties.

Rumor is ground is doing away with the belly pups and doing more 53ft and the pups going be straight rail for the p@d customers.

If they don't have empties we just take 1. I start 5pm run a p&d. Back at 6pm. Sit there till 10pm usually and I run Evansville to Lebanon TN a last cut. They just built a new sort only facility. I get there around 1am. Sit till 3am. Back evansville by 6am.

Now if I only got paid like you guys do. Fedex making out like a bandit using contractors but it hurts them as well. Finding quality and qualified guys is hard. Same with package car drivers. I hear them guys talking 750 bucks a week GROSS.

I got my old buddy trying get me go-to Dayton. He has been there about 4 years. I just don't wanna work hard. This ground contractor laid back easy job.

LtlAnonymous and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    If that's all they're paying it's no wonder they can't find decent drivers.

jtaran06 and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  6. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    FedEx is funny to me. They are the complete opposite of UPS as far as how they treat their parcel guys versus their freight guys. Over there, the freight guys are the kings. UPS Freight does very well for themselves, but a notch below where we are. It makes sense, given the profitability of the two sectors, parcel vs. LTL.

Dayton is on my short list of companies that I would highly recommend for drivers interested in LTL. Their employees seem really happy, which goes a long way with me.

jmz and jtaran06 Thank this.
  7. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky

Yeah he loves them. They seem to have their #### together too. They don't over hire. They stay pretty steady. I told him maybe after holidays. But I just don't wanna work that hard. I just need to clear 600 week now starting January.

I had Casey's call me to haul fuel. 80k. Dayton is an option. Possibly pretending to be fedex is not bad for the guy I'm running for. I can clear 1200 pretty easily.

The hospital going to pay for her last part of school and her pay will go up even more.

Decisions decisions!!

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  8. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    You know, it's an important question. A little less money for a lot less work, or a lot more work for more pay? These are all things we have to ask ourselves.

jtaran06 Thanks this.
  9. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    FedEx mostly just leaves Freight alone to do our thing, but we are still the red-headed stepchild of FedEx. We had really good executive level management for a long time, but that’s changed over the last few years and driver happiness has been going downhill in favor of slightly more short term profits.

10. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    You work 13 hours a day and call that taking it easy?

11. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    i'm linehaul. the sooner i get done, the better.

jmz, LtlAnonymous and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.