Estes/OD/ABF in Portland OR? Opinions appreciated

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by GSOK, Jul 2, 2021.

1. GSOK

GSOK Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Vancouver WA
    Currently all three of these seem to be hiring in the Portland area. I've watched and read good things about all three of these carriers, so I'm curious if anyone here has experience at the terminals here, or can just just recommend one over the other in general. The only consideration is that I have kids, so being home slightly more often might sway my decision, though having to stay out is not a show stopper. Finally got my HAZMAT again and I'm ready to work.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    I recommend Peninsula Truck Lines. Here’s what I know about the others:

I interviewed with ODFL a few years ago. I had just finished 2 years of OTR and was looking for an LTL job. The interviewer was polite and professional, but explained that he called in 10 drivers to interview but he would only be calling one of those drivers back and with only 2 years of experience it wouldn’t be me. While it’s a great place to work apparently there’s a long line of drivers wanting to work there - many are called, few are chosen.

I applied at ABF about 6 months ago. The interviewer was NOT polite nor professional. I have a safe, clean driving record. He raked me over the coals. Really? Is this a job interview or are you wanting me to kick your ###? While he did apologize for his tone towards the end I was convinced he wasn’t someone I wanted to work with and stopped pursuing employment with ABF after that. During the interview the TM mentioned that they had 9 driver positions but would be expanding to 16 driver positions this year. You can believe that ABF is doubling their freight volume this year if you want to. I believe that drivers 12-16 are going to be driving less than 3 days a week and will qualify for food stamps.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  4. GSOK

GSOK Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Vancouver WA
    How tight are they on "two years recent line experience"?

5. Lunatic Fringe

Oct 1, 2016
    They have made exceptions to that in the past. It all boils down to how many idle trucks they have and how many driver applications they get.

GSOK Thanks this.
  6. im not real sure

im not real sure Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Athens, GA
    I interviewed with Estes and ODFL, both seem like great companies. Both offered me a position. I chose ODFL because of the atmosphere, their reputation, I know 2 people that work there and they love it, and it just seems a better fit for me. Estes would have been my 2nd pick. I say apply to all and go to all the interviews that you get. None of the places I interviewed with minded me saying I had interviews/ interviewed with others. It's an employee's market, especially in the CDL world.

GSOK Thanks this.
  7. Lunatic Fringe

Oct 1, 2016
    In Portland, OR?

8. im not real sure

im not real sure Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Athens, GA
    In Georgia

9. ColoradoLinehaul

ColoradoLinehaul Light Load Member

Jul 11, 2021
    Colorado
    Old Dominion. By far one of the best LTL companies out there. Not union, but you get most of the benefits of one.

im not real sure Thanks this.
  10. Lunatic Fringe

Oct 1, 2016
    While Estes has the best location - Airport Way next to Costco - I’ve heard that they run linehaul like SAIA does. More regional OTR than linehaul. You leave the terminal on Monday but don’t get back into Portland until sometime Saturday.

11. GSOK

GSOK Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Vancouver WA
    Thank you, gents. I'm going to apply to all the above and hope for the best one! Hope I can see you all on the road soon. Glad to know there's really none to avoid.

ColoradoLinehaul Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.