European trucking vs US trucking

Discussion in 'European/Other Countries Truckers Forum' started by Danish5666, May 3, 2010.

1. Marlboro

Marlboro Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah this is the best post I saw in here!
    Im sorry if I offend you but your experience 27 years it means that you are going to retiring soon. I know that many older people prefere this system.
    I dont want to start another topic but in this way the goverment wants to take care of those who cant care of themselfs.
    I live in America because I think I know how to secure myself but I maybe wrong

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dr_Fandango44

Dr_Fandango44 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Big difference are the trucks. I think I only saw one conventional truck in the UK when I went home to visit my relatives in Yorkshire. European/UK truck are cab overs and the sleepers look pretty sparse too.
    After living in the US for so long, I'm always amused at how compact the UK is. You don't realize til you go and live away from home. The US in contrast is wide open. We live in Texas so it's wider and more expansive than most.
    You'll always be taxed to death in the UK. I can remember VAT jumping from 8 to 15% in one fell swoop. Taxes are ridiculous. But in Ireland VAT was at 25% way back in the 70s as I recall.
    I've talked with many nationalities about trucking inc a South African, a Voortrekker, who drove trucks down under. He told me the US is the place to be for trucking. He maybe right.

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  4. Dr_Fandango44

Aug 27, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Oh BTW try to explain to an American trucker what an Articulated lorry is and you will get a rather strange look on his face. Now there's a difference there. As opposed to a tractor/ trailer, very non descript.
    We Brits have a way with words.

5. Foxcover

Foxcover Medium Load Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    It's very hard to find a good steak & kidney pie with mushy peas on the side in any Truckstop here in the US, that used to be a highlight waiting on the P&O at the Liverpool Docks!:biggrin_255:
    Theres no way to make money over there though, you just turn it over but when you learn there it makes trucking in the US a pleasure. I would have to say most US truckers wouldn't make it a wet day in Europe.

6. Lightside

Lightside Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Anyone know if American truckers, who are able to live overseas, able to use their CDL in Europe? That is if you had experience driving already?

7. Dr_Fandango44

Aug 27, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I doubt it. You will have to go through the UK test for a HGV lic. Different world over there bro. Also remember, we drive on the left which you will have to get used to. Even I have to think again and prepare. The motorways are great and IMHO superior to here, but it's the other roads that will get you. Every time I go home, it's as if everything has shrunk. The US is much more spread out.

Trucker61016, izifaddag and Lightside Thank this.
  8. Lightside

Lightside Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    You really think Europe has superior roads? I know I'd have to take the HGV but I wasn't sure if they would bypass certain requirements if you already had experience.

9. Dr_Fandango44

Aug 27, 2012
    Austin, TX
    IMHO we have a better network of "freeways" as we call motorways as in "M" roads. More consistent and are 3 and 4 lane roads each way. I worked as a laborer on the M62, to get thru college which runs east/west from Humberside to Lancashire. It traverses the "Pennines". The M1 being one of the oldest running from Leeds to London. So yes, they are superior in that respect. the "A" roads are pretty good too, but the "B" roads aren't as good, because they are tighter.
    I always regard the A1 running north south as very similar to the freeways in the States, by and large. It's 2 lanes both ways.
    If you have experience then you have a head start but there are differences besides driving on the left. You can't turn on a red light.
    I think you will be surprised how much traffic there is in the UK. It's increased a lot since I left in 1984.
    One thing you don't have over there are truck stops as we know them here in the US. I can't speak for other European countries. They are all different.

Lightside Thanks this.
  10. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    The entire situation is different.
    Look at the truck restrictions on weekends, statutory holidays and then local holidays. You're allowed on the road on Sunday after 22:00 till Saturday 23:59. In America it's 24/7/365. Then all the different regulations in different jurisdictions. Even when they say it's EU, every country makes it's own rules. For sure in the US are different rules in different states. But if you stick to the basics, you're good for the next 2000 miles, which you'll never find in EU.
    It's difficult to explain to outsiders. You'd have to see yourself. But a two week ridealong would not reflect the entire difference.
    One is for sure, if I'd go back, I wouldn't drive a truck anymore, not under those conditions. Even the benefit of the salary where it doesn't matter wether you're rolling or sitting could convince me.

izifaddag Thanks this.
  11. coffee mug

coffee mug Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2016
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.