Ever problems with opposite sex trainers?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by GrandmaRosa, Feb 22, 2020.

1. GrandmaRosa

GrandmaRosa Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2020
    I'm still thinking about whether to pursue a Class A CDL or not. One concern that I have is on the road training. Has anyone, especially ladies, ever had problems with an opposite sex trainer since you're living together in close quarters in the truck?

FerrissWheel and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    If you don’t feel comfortable enough you can request a trainer of the same sex.

There are a lot of women that also train students so it shouldn’t hold you back from following your career choice.

Coffey, flood, Swedish Chef and 3 others Thank this.
  4. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Although you may have to wait longer for a trainer to become available.

5. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    In these days of gender "fluidity" I'm not even sure the opposite sex knows which ones to sexually harrass!!

6. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    It could be discrimination On the OP’s part if a biological male trainer identifies as a female.

7. GrandmaRosa

GrandmaRosa Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2020
    Well I should say then I don't want to be harassed by any gender, lol. I would probably feel more comfortable with a female trainer.

8. Vegas unlimited

Vegas unlimited Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2020
    The other day Werner parked next to me. The trainer was an old men around 60 and the student was sexy black cutie around 30-32 years old. I started thinking i should not be an o/o. I should be a trainer...lol...
    i appoligize for my dirty thoughts...

9. Qbf594

Qbf594 Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Southern Canadian annex, NY
    I think it's less about sexual harassment, more like finding the least socially terrible human to be your trainer. I had a fantastic man as a trainer, my age, married, grandfather, decent person. Met a young lady at my current company who was first harassed by her female trainer, ironically not sexual in awfulness tho young lady was lesbian. Turned racial and unprofessional so she moved truck...to a dude who refused to stop so she could pee....for hours. I mean WTF. Heard stories about guys bullied and demeaned by guys, trainees dealing with experienced driver who were drinking in the truck... Newbie female drivers who were raped by male drivers they barely knew but decided to invite into their trucks...
    My takeaway...
    1 gotta have some sense in this job. If it's a stupid idea out there it's probably stupid in a truck. (Don't invite strange men into your room...duh)
    2 gotta have as big a set of Kahuna's as the boys. Nobody is going to save you out here. Learn how to speak up for yourself in effective ways. With trainers, shippers, security guards, police... If you can't do that find a kinder gentler job.
    3 once you get past a month in someone else's Truck you get your own and can conduct yourself as you see fit, so a little patience is helpful...

dunchues, Long FLD, TripleSix and 10 others Thank this.
  10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Companies have many fewer female trainers. So if you insist on a female trainer, and you have that right, be prepared to wait until one becomes available. There was one USXpress husband-wife team on YouTube. The wife explained they agreed the wife would train with whatever trainer first became available, male or female, rather than waiting for a female trainer for her. You will have to make that call. Also, the short period you ride with a trainer, male or female, is often the hardest part of trucking since you share a very small place, have barely enough time in the day to work and sleep and have to squeeze everything else, like showers and eating, into whatever time is left over. BTW, showers are private showers. There are YouTube videos showing you what they are like.

This job is the very definition of working class. So hopefully you are not someone easily offended. I humbly suggest that if you can hear cuss words without filing a lawsuit you can get through training with a man or woman. Be assertive at the start, with a male trainer, that you don't want to hear the wrong type of jokes, you will not tolerate sexual advances, and you will report such to the company and you should be ok.

FerrissWheel and GrandmaRosa Thank this.
  11. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Male, female, Bruce Jenner, they are all terrible trainers...

Qbf594, tscottme, FerrissWheel and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.