Ever wonder what question's to ask a new company before signing on with them?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Redneck, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Redneck

Redneck BANNED

Dec 5, 2005
    Chillicothe,OH
    I have been noticing lately alot of post about what to ask a company before signing on with them.
    Well I did a little searching and came up with this from OWNER-OPERATOR INDEPENDENT DRIVERS ASSOCIATION - REPRESENTING TRUCKERS

I wished I could take credit for this but I can NOT! But I thought this was some very good information so I am going to post it here. You can even make a copy and run it off with your printer so you will have it in front of you when you talk to the new company.
    This is being posted not only for the new driver's.....but for the older guy's/gal's as well.

Check list for company drivers

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    Here's a list of questions that company drivers will want to ask recruiters before they decide to accept the job:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. Will I be:
    Hired employee___
    Contract driver___
    (A contract driver is usually paid on a percentage basis and taxes are the responsibility of the contract driver. There also must be a contract between the company and the driver. This contract is for the IRS audits and must meet their requirements. A good way to tell is to refer to form S S8) 8
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2. As an employee, how is my pay figured?
    Hourly____ Rate____
    By the mile____ Rate____

3. If paid by the mile, how is mileage calculated?
    Hub miles____
    Computer program such as PCMiler, HHG, etc.____
    Dispatched miles____
    Loaded miles____
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4. Does the company hold back the first paycheck?
    Yes____ No____
    If so, how long?
    One week____ Two weeks____
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5. Is the driver responsible for loading and unloading?
    Yes____ No____

6. If not, how is the lumper issue handled?
    Company contract with lumpers____
    Advances for lumpers (deduct from paycheck)____
    Reimbursement for lumper with receipts____
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7. If driver unloads, how is payment made?
    Flat rate___
    Hourly____
    Piece____
    By weight____
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8. What is the company policy on fueling?
    Driver choice of supplier____
    Company choice of supplier____
    Fuel Card supplied____
    Driver pays & company reimburses___
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9. Does the company pay for:
    Layovers____
    Detention time____
    Canceled loads____
    Multiple drops and picks____
    Tolls____
    Truck washes____
    Trailer wash-outs____
    Scale tickets____
    Minor road repairs to equipment such as clearance lights, wiring, etc.____
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10. How many miles per week can I expect to run? ______[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]11. How many days/weeks will a driver be kept out? ______[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12. What is the policy on home time? ______________________________________________________[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]13. What benefits does the company offer?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Paid vacation ____ After how long ____ How much vacation time ____
    Sick days____ After how long ____ How many sick days ____
    Health/dental care ____Is family included? Yes___ No ____
    Safety awards ____
    Retirement plans/401K ____
    Rider policy ____Company paid? Yes___ No ___ What are the age requirements? ____ Is it limited to family members only? Yes ____ No ____
    Safety bonuses____ Based on: no violations/accidents ____; Customer Service ____; Feedback/complaints from general public____; On-time ____; SO&D ____; Idle time ____; On time ____ ; Fuel Mileage ____
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]14. Do you have forced dispatch? Yes____ No____[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]15. What regions does the company expect you to run? _______________________________________________; Does the company run in areas that you do not want go, such as Canada, Mexico, or NY? Yes____ No____[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]16. Does the company offer dedicated runs? Yes____ No ____; If yes, how do I get one? ______________________[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]17. Does driver work directly with brokers (hand-offs)? Yes____ No ____[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]18. What is the company policy on check calls (status for the day)? _______________________________________[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]19. Does the company allow pets in the truck? Yes ____ No ____ If so, are damage deposits required? Yes ____ No____; If so, how much? _____ Deposit return policy? ____________________________________________[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]20. Does company provide cell phones? Yes____ No ____[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]21. What kind of truck will I be driving? Year____ Make_____ Model_____[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]22. Can driver take the truck home? Yes ____ No ____[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]23. What kind of transmission? _________________________________________[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]24. What kind of engine? _____________________________________________[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]25. What kind of sleeper? _____________________________________________[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]26. Can I put my own chrome and lights on the truck? Yes ____ No ____[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]27. Are speeds governed? Yes ____ No ____ If so, governed at what speed? ____________________________[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]28. CB equipped? Yes ____ No ____[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]29. AM/FM radio/TV? Yes _____ No ____[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]30. Refrigerator? Yes ____ No ____[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]31. Qualcom? Yes ____ No ____[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]32. Air Ride seats? Yes ____ No _____[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]33. Engine Brakes? Yes ____ No ____[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]34. Opti-Idle? Yes ____ No ____[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]35. How often does company purchase new equipment? _______________________________________[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]36. Can I purchase my truck through the company? Yes ____ No ____ Lease/purchase plan? Yes ____ No ____ Success rate on lease/purchase? ____________________________________________________________[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]37. Does the company provide training? Yes ____ No ____[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]38. Is training paid by company? Yes ____ No ____[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]39. If company paid, is there a penalty if I leave the company before a specified period of time? Yes ____ No ____; If penalty, how is it calculated? ________________________________________________________________[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]40. What are trainer requirements? ______________________________________________________________[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]41. Does the trainer receive extra pay? Yes ____ No ____[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]42. As a trainer, will I be able to refuse to train a potential driver? Yes ____ No ____[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]43. Is trainer responsible for actions of trainees? Yes ____ No ____[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]44. What is the length of training period? _________________________________________________________[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]45. Will I be assigned solo after the training period? Yes ____ No ____[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]46. Are female trainers provided for female trainees upon request? Yes
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]____ No ____[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]47. Is there a smoking/non-smoking policy? Yes ____ No ____[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]48. Is an escrow, security deposit, performance bond, or any type of money held back by the company? Yes ____ No ____; If so, what is the required amount, and what is the return policy? ___________________________________[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]49. Is transportation provided to orientation? Yes ____ No ____[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]50. Motel/Food paid by company? Yes ____ No ____[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]51. Does the company pay for orientation? Yes ____ No ____[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]52. If I am disqualified or if I choose not to sign on, does the company pay for my transportation back home? Yes____ No ____[/FONT]
    [/FONT]​
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Your personal list of interview questions may grow or shrink as you determine your own requirements, but this checklist is comprehensive enough to give you a good idea of how the company operates. Include the contact person’s full name, company’s name, phone number, and date on your checklist for future reference. You may even want to ask the company recruiter to sign off on it. Don’t count on that happening, but I don’t think this would be a problem for anyone who has answered your questions honestly …do you?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Swimming with Sharks
    [/FONT]​

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OntheRoad2

OntheRoad2 Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Thats a very good post.great job!:wave:

4. Pappa Jake

Pappa Jake Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2006
    In Between The White Lines
    Great info thanks:smt033 , I am a newbie and need all the help I can get.

5. Redneck

Redneck BANNED

Dec 5, 2005
    Chillicothe,OH
    That's what we are here for.....

pinballwizard Thanks this.
  6. Hungarianskier

Hungarianskier Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Ohio
    1. Will I be:
    Hired employee___
    Contract driver___
    (A contract driver is usually paid on a percentage basis and taxes are the responsibility of the contract driver. There also must be a contract between the company and the driver. This contract is for the IRS audits and must meet their requirements. A good way to tell is to refer to form S S:cool: 8

Where can the information be found here:form S?

wdstk69 and pinballwizard Thank this.
  7. Redneck

Redneck BANNED

Dec 5, 2005
    Chillicothe,OH
    Form SS8.........According to OOIDA

8. Hungarianskier

Hungarianskier Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Ohio
    Thank you for the response; however, I do not know what "OOIDA" stands for or how to obtain this data(information)?

I need someone to clarify!

Thanks!:grin:

9. LeadfootSlider

LeadfootSlider <strong>Queen of the Confused</strong>

Jul 15, 2006
    Crystal Spring, PA
  10. journeyman

journeyman Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2006
    So ... what's the best answer to $3?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.