Exеrсiѕе while on the road

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Vickys6, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Vickys6

Vickys6 Bobtail Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Oldironfan Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    I carry 25 lbs dumbbells, a jump rope, and running shoes. I try and exercise a minimum of 3 times a week.

Jazz1 Thanks this.
  4. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    My friends perspective on exercising..." what car would you buy? One thats been road hard and put away wet or a car that has spent a lifetime idle and dry under cover"

tucker Thanks this.
  5. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    You have to be relatively fit nowadays in order to be a truck driver. DOT standards a lot more strict than in the past. Blood pressure has to be in check. BMI. Neck has to be under 17 inches. Diabetes and blood sugar, etc. I have co-workers who basically train 1-2 months in advance like they were getting ready for a MMA fight because they new they're medical card was about to expire lol.

Being a Local Driver helps. You can plan your workouts and meals a lot better compared to OTR. And a lot of Local work involves physical labor too, such as Foodservice, Milk Delivery, LTL P&D, Logistics, and some dedicated routes that involves hand unloading onto rollers. I've personally been a gym rat for over 30 years. Had multiple gym memberships from Gold's, Powerhouse, LA Fitness, and now I'm getting a little bit tired of waiting in line to use the equipment, or picking up other people's germs like the Flu or Warts. I've been using the Powertec Home Gym for a couple years and it's the best investment I've ever made. Heavy duty Multi Gym equipment that uses free weights and can go up to 500 pounds. More than enough for my needs....

Powertec Workbench Levergym WB-LS16-YB

6. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    The jump rope is excellent cardio! Scant few here who could do 3 3minute rounds without keeling over. Anyone starting skip rope initially you will be about as graceful as a hound humping a football but after a week you will see significant improvement in your skipping and get your heart/ lungs working.

runningman0661 Thanks this.
  7. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I used to be a gym rat and want to get back into the mix. Is it feasible to hit up those gyms as an otr driver? Do they allow trucks to park nearby or in the back of the lot?

8. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Your better off keeping some dumbbells in your truck and maybe a flat bench that you can take apart quickly for storage.
    That's what used to do and it's a lot easier than locating a gym that you can get in an out of with your truck.
    I tried that in the beginning it was a PITA, I had my Golds Gym travel membership at the time.

TravR1 Thanks this.
  9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Truck drivers wearing leg warmers...

I can see that now. :laughing-guffaw:

WesternPlains, jammer910Z and Jazz1 Thank this.
  10. Irishtrucker

Irishtrucker Medium Load Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    Get yourself a kettlebell and learn how to do a correct kettlebell swing, a full body exercise. You can do countless other cardio and strength exercises with this one piece of equipment.

WesternPlains and TravR1 Thank this.
  11. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    I rock back and forth hugging myself

VIDEODROME and Irishtrucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.