Excessive oil passing into air tanks and purging out air dyer, HELP!

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by TowHaul, Jul 23, 2017.

1. TowHaul

TowHaul Medium Load Member

Mar 7, 2016
    My Peterbilt with a Bendix air compressor is now using almost 2 gallons of oil every 1,000 miles. This is becoming insane. When i purge the air tanks, oil comes out, when I hold a piece of paper beneath the purge valve on the air dryer it comes out oil. I replaced the air compressor because of this , however i still have the same problem. At this point i'm worried its either the motor, or just a simple fix to the compressor. I keep reading about problems with the air intake from the manifold to the air compressor. I called Bendix and they said they have a "air strainer kit". Which i believe is a tiny air filter that you bolt onto the air compressor? I AM NOT A MECHANIC, i do have barely enough mechanical skills to work on my truck if i know what i'm doing.

the kit they said would fit is Bendix 278500N Air Strainer Kit for Air Compressors, Includes Filter, Gasket, and Hardware: AnythingTruck.com, Truck & Trailer Parts and Accessories Warehouse

I have absolutely no idea where this would install on the air dryer...which line is the air intake line? Do i then plug the line that went to the manifold? Will this even help with my problem or would you try other resolutions first. The kit is $50 and i dont want to throw money at a problem that i am honestly unsure of regarding a resolution.

To clarify how and where would i stall this kit on my 2001 peterbilt 330 (please be speficic and talk to me like talking the dumb ape that i am)

Also would this kit potentially resolve my issue?

THANKS!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Check the air intake to the compressor for a restriction. Restricted intake will cause a vacuum on the top of the compressor piston and suck engine oil up around the piston rings of the compressor.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    OLDSKOOLERnWV and SAR Thank this.
  4. TowHaul

Mar 7, 2016
    thats exactly what Bendix told me however i have no idea which line is the air intake line. no line goes to the air filter. Just one at the front of the compressor leading towards the fan shrowd on the front of the truck, the other that i suspect is the line going from the rear of compressor, very short line going to area around the valve cover. Another line looks like its going to where the intake heater element is. Truck not in front of me at the moment to take a picture.

5. SAR

SAR Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2011
    ND
    What kind of engine is this and then we can tell you the location of the intake hose.

6. TowHaul

Mar 7, 2016
    THANKS :). Its a c7 Cat motor. 2001. I get the truck tomorrow, however i wanted to develop a game plan today, or even order parts tonight. Due to the excessive amount of oil, i am considering just selling the truck outright. I hope its something minor that i can resolve.

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Take some pictures and post them if you can, maybe we can see something is not right and point you in the right direction!

SAR Thanks this.
  8. TowHaul

Mar 7, 2016
    here you go [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  9. TowHaul

Mar 7, 2016
  10. TowHaul

Mar 7, 2016
  11. TowHaul

Mar 7, 2016
    the braded line is slightly kinked in the bottom pic, but this is not the air intake line ..it goes to the dryer and i do not believe it has anything to do with the current problem.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.