Exhaust manifold gasket blown at #5,6 cyl

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by kubasj05, Feb 16, 2019.

1. kubasj05

kubasj05 Light Load Member

Apr 18, 2013
    2012 Maxxforce 13
    So I've been chasing exhaust leak in recent weeks thinking that the egr supply tubes were leaking but at closer inspection found leaks on both #5 and #6 cylinders. Fumes enter the hvac at idle mostly. As this is still not that bad I know it'll get worse. I'm trying to get prepared for unenviable as best as I can with the help from you folks.
    Now, what do I need to remove to get to this ridiculous exhaust manifold.
    #1 turbos obviously
    Not sure about items below:
    #2? drain coolant
    #3? remove CCOS
    #4? remove oil filter assembly - I hope not
    #5? do I really need a turbo alignment tool for turbo installation - I surely hope not $$$
    I have Engine Service Manual but there is no mention of exhaust manifold removal procedure, only turbo. It'd be essential to know which components are involved so I can estimate downtime and have better overall idea what I'm going to deal with since I'm trying to tackle this project myself. Thanks in advance

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    BUMBACLADWAR Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    What kind of truck and engine size and year model might be helpful .?can't help fix what we don't know about

4. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Them exhaust leaks are Dangerous as you probably know.A driver got gassed in Oregon a year or two ago.

5. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Id probably try to use some "Brass Bolts" in case you need to retorque them in the future and so they Don't Seize up on you.JMO

6. kubasj05

Apr 18, 2013
    Sorry, forgot to include the focal point of my question.
    It's a 2012 Maxxforce 13 , LOL

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    You can do everything from the back of the engine. Remove passenger seat, remove all lower kick panels, remove the shifter if you have a manual trans, remove the center console, remove the side scuff panels at the bottom of door openings, peel back the floor mat as far as you can, remove the rear engine cover. Then you remove the heat shields, drain coolant, remove after treatment injector coolant lines, remove egr tubes, (this is where this job goes bad with seized bolts.) Should be another heat shield, and then the rear exhaust manifold section can be unbolted and removed by itself and leave the rest including all the turbo stuff alone. Some engines have a cuff seal assembled in between manifold sections, so that has to come off too. The main reason 5 and 6 leak is due to too much stress on that section due to the egr stuff around it. To properly do the job, you need to install the updated manifold section that has thinker mounting flanges. It will fit with the existing center manifold section. Reinstall in the reverse order. It is highly recommended to use new bolts and tap out the holes to clean the threads of anything and always always always use a high-temp anti-seize on all your fasteners because these are a nightmare to work on when everything breaks and strips because it won't come apart. International recommends cleaning the head mating surfaces with steam only. No abrasive pads. Also, this is a good time to remove and clean your aftertreatment injector since it is right there and easy to get to.

Just for fun, warranty only pays us 2.3 hours to do this, LOL!

Tombstone69, kubasj05 and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  8. kubasj05

Apr 18, 2013
    I'd pay you 5 hours to do it and that wouldn't be enough LOL but seriously Jesus christ, I did not expect that. You saved me from the misery, I was about to start ripping everything out like a maniac.
    One thing I wanted to ask you, what kind of drive is used on the manifold bolts as I never encountered this type of head before (5 or 6 star pattern)
    Thanks Heavyd, I sure appreciate your advice and time you took to shed some light on the issue. You're the best brother.

Klleetrucking Thanks this.
  9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Inverted torx. I can't remember the exact size, probably a 45. Also, those bolts are one time use. I believe there is a gasket kit that comes with hardware you need.

kubasj05 Thanks this.
  10. kubasj05

Apr 18, 2013
    Awesome info, very valuable stuff.
    Im sure, there'll be more questions down the road but for now you've made my day.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  11. kubasj05

Apr 18, 2013
    Heavyd,
    I have some additional questions. I got updated rear piece of exhaust manifold (see attached picture) and was told (by parts guy at dealership) that it won't fit old center section for its too thick on flange portion however I disregarded his advice as I believe you who did this job before know better if it fits or not.
    My question is in regards to FAY ring and exhaust mani to head gasket installation.
    First, I have set of 8 FAY rings and it looks like that 1 groove can take 4 rings. There are 2 grooves so that would make sense, 4 rings in each groove. Is there a technique that does not require specialty tool while installing manifold with rings in place? Also at what point the "manifold to head gasket" goes in as I imagine it must be tight in there once rear section manifold is coupled with the center one. I'd like to avoid damaging that gasket. Thanks in advance for the help, Jacob

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.