EXP Driver going back into trucking

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by northstarfire0693, Apr 6, 2008.

1. northstarfire0693

northstarfire0693 Heavy Load Member

Jul 1, 2006
    AZ
    Hello all,

I am looking into going back to the road. I have 5yrs of OTR exp (1999-2003) The last 5yrs I have been on active duty with the military. I know their have been lots of changes since I have been on the road ( new hos, etc ) With the time that I have been away I wanted to know what outfit would be good to pull for, I am looking at flatbed ( I have no exp their ) or going back to the old reefer ( I dont want to deal with those groc w/h again ) I am not sure on how they will look at me with the fact I have been off the road for 5 yrs. Any Info or advice would be nice...

Thanks again...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Are you stationed in Alaska? What will be your home state?

4. northstarfire0693

Jul 1, 2006
    AZ
    My home state will be Texas... I am in Alaska for another year then I am out.

5. Pete_379X

Pete_379X Super Chrome

Jul 4, 2007
    Arkansas
    Would have to say Maverick for a good flatbed training company. TMC is good, but heard something about them being in some financial troubles. Don't hold me to that though. What do you think about having Texas as a home state and Maverick Notarps? Its not terribly far from Little Rock.

6. northstarfire0693

Jul 1, 2006
    AZ
    I will take a look at Maverick. I am not worried about being too close to TX because I can relocate anywhere...I have nothing holding me back as far as theat goes. I just hope with being gone for 5yrs that they wont make me go back to school or any dumb #### like that. I still have my CDL. The big thing I will have to learn is the new HOS it was still 10,8,14,70 when I was on the road. this new stuff reads crazy ???? and if I go flatbed the only training I will need is all the tarping, etc.... I just realy dont want to go back into reefer or dry van.... I can see by reading in the post that nothing has changed in that relm...shippers and recievers still are crap and with the new HOS I can see where that will put a driver in a bind on hrs and miles real quick. as far as outfits to pull for I want driver imput you know the recruiters will tell you anything..

7. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I am with maverick, but TX is not a real good state for us. I go in there a lot, but often dead head out. I am with maverick and as long as you have a CDL they will just put you thru their training and send you out with a trainer. Since you have previous exp, you won't be with a trainer long. Most other companies will require a refresher course. I have posted about mav a lot on here. You can read them under the maverick threads or PM me about them if you want. I just saw you can not PM yet. you can email me if you want.

8. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    If you want to hire on with a good outfit, you'll either have to go to a refresher course then go with a trainer for a week or three, or you'll have to go with a trainer for up to two months. It depends on the outfit. Some outfits let those with only 6 months' experience be trainers, so they probably wouldn't demand much. However, these outfits do that because they can't keep drivers long. You want no part of these companies.

9. jash369

jash369 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2007
    roslyn,pa
    Hi North,

I have alos been looking at maverick for a little while. I am currently with another company finishing up contract time.

I have spoken to a couple of maverick drivers at the truck stops while fueling. They speak very well of haw they are treated. The regular flat guys are doing about 40-43 cents a mile with about 2k-2.5k miles a week.

Everyone I have had to speak to says the glass guys are making 50 cents a mile. and 90% of their runs are deadhead back to shippers.

They have a nice facility from what I can tell passing by in AR. I pass there about twice a month.

I think from what I have also heard is when you have spent any good amount of time off the wheel they will require a refresher course. It is a
    peice of cake then a couple of weeks with a trainer, if you can show them you can handle pretty well they will let yougo sooner.

Good luck and be careful................J

10. northstarfire0693

Jul 1, 2006
    AZ
    Where would I have to go for the refresher course, CDL school or company. I have never heard of that.

11. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Check out the sticky threads on the Safety Regulations forumn. It will update you on most of the things that have changed on logs :).
    Any questions just ask. I don't know the answer to your "real" questions but please get familiar with them "new" regulations so you are some what familiar with them.:biggrin_25523:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.