Expenses

Discussion in 'Millis' started by Blufreeze, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Blufreeze

Blufreeze Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2008
    East Central Ohio
    Can anyone give an estimate of weekly living expenses while OTR.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.:glasses7:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    HIGHLY subjective. Many truckers just spend and spend and live off advances.

Plan in advance you could get it under $10 a day or less. Carry some bread and peanut butter lol.

Blufreeze Thanks this.
  4. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Although you'll hear many opnions.

You can get by on about $60 a week, with the right equipment.

I typically spend around $100 every 2 weeks stocking my groceries. Then, it will vary on what I spend throughout the week(s) on other things. Somethings as low as $10, other times as high as $40. Depending on whether I eat a few meals in a truck stop or not.

If you don't have a fridge, microwave, and coffee pot. You can expect to spend as much as $200 a week. A frugle driver, that doesn't eat much...maybe $125 a week.

A case of soft drinks purchased at Wal Mart will save you $20. As opposed to buy it a bottle at a time in a truck stop.

You use everything availible to you, to cut cost. If you want to make the most of your job.

5. Blufreeze

Aug 11, 2008
    East Central Ohio
    Excellent - Thank you for the information, it is very much appreciated.

6. spanky

spanky Medium Load Member

Apr 13, 2007
    east tn
    If i eat all my meals out of my truck i can get by with less than 50 dollars a week. If i eat all my meals out in the truckstops it cost me about 80 to a 100 dollars a week. I usually only eat one or 2 meals a day and watch my money very carefully to make sure i dont spend no more than i have to while out.

7. Data_man

Data_man Light Load Member

May 29, 2008
    Southern IN
    Plan your meals at the beginning of your day. Eat 3 to 4 SMALL meals a day. Trade in the case of soda for a case of water, cheaper and no hidden calories. Count your calories for a day and you will find that your pushing 3000 calories a day. Cut back to 1600 to 2100 a day, lose weight and save money. Watch for the hidden calories and sandwiches with enormous calories per sandwich, McD's quarter pounder has less calories then the chicken club and less money. Try to stay under 500 calories per meal and this will keep under 2000 for the day. Quarter pounder, with no cheese, has around 500 calories with water would be a meal. You don't have stop eating what you like just what the portions. Save money, lose or maintain weight, healthy and feel better every day. Always read the menu at truck stops and the prices. One large truck stop chain charges $2 for a cup of coffee. I don't eat there any more. Keep a ledger of all expenses, on your lap top or just in a note book, you will be surprised how small amounts add up. Cut out one meal in a restaurant and save $1 for a tip and it becomes over $300 for the year, could be one car payment or able to eat three weeks on the road free. Worry about the pennies in your pocket and the dollars will take care of them selves.

8. Blufreeze

Aug 11, 2008
    East Central Ohio
    Thanks guys, great info.

I appreciate it!

9. 4eagles

4eagles Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Cudahy WI
    I plan on getting a hot plate or something I can plug into the cigarette lighter. Then live off of chef boy R dee, dinte moore beef stew and hormel chili. Anything I can heat up right in the can. I'll take some fruit, granola bars and such to snack on too... Prolly a couple loaves of bread and some pb&j too.

10. reilley

reilley Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2007
    CNYS
    hubby has a microwave and several hot pots , he cooks in the cab and eats out once a week. He shops at walmart or when he's home , he raids the cupboards. He has $140. for himself each week. He always has a 'kitty' from that money and if he wants to buy something he has the money and he has never had to touch 'the house money' . Money saved. There are some places that serve awesome food and he will stop there.

Blufreeze Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.