Experience before a local job?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by RFC558, Dec 13, 2008.

1. RFC558

RFC558 Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Well let me say I did fall into that "trap"

These trucking companies have been "feeding" the truck driving schools to provide them truck drivers for years.

If you are a new driver or you are in truck driving school and you are being told you need at least 1 year experience before you can get a local driving job, THEY ARE LYING TO YOU.

Look at their interests, they are feeding these OTR companies with drivers and are getting some kind of kickback to do so. So of course they are going to tell you that.

I work for a company that uses nothing but local drivers, yeah thats right punch in and punch out every day and go home EVERY DAY. We hire fresh drivers right out of school. Most of the schools in my local area (Chicago) will not even let us come to their school to recruit because these big OTR companies are giving them such big kickbacks to get drivers sent to them.

So all I am saying is do not get tricked into driving OTR if that is not what you want. Look in the paper, there are local jobs that will hire you, in fact, some will hire you with just a CDL permit and help you learn to drive while you learn how the company operates, the company I work for will do this!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Those kind of companies are few and far between. Most of the local outfits where I live want a minimum of one year.

You got lucky with that one, and that's cool.

However, if you ever change your mind and want to go OTR, you'll have a harder time of it than doing the reverse.

4. RFC558

RFC558 Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2008

These jobs are out there, I promise you that.

As for our company, we are a worldwide company and the biggest comment we hear when we hire a newbie driver, "I didn't think I could get hired here because I did not have the experience"

Just read the ads, if it says 1 year experience preferred, then a new driver should apply.

If it says 1 year experience required, then apply anyhow, tell them to keep you in mind, you will be suprised what happens. They really do want you, what would it hurt to apply anyhow? You might just be suprised.

5. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Everything around here is 'One year required' or two or three and they mean it. I don't drive anymore, but my hubby is OTR. He wants to be OTR though, which I understand and have no problem with. I wish I could still be out there.

Browse around some of the threads, and consider sharing your company name with some. I know that there are some members that are looking for local rather than OTR.

6. dr5169

dr5169 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2008
    chicago,il
    I live in chicago too..and i am getting ready to go to school and get my cdl...sure wish i could PM yu so i could get the name of your company..i dont have enough posts though but when i do i will PM yu..dont want to do otr if i dont have to..

7. RFC558

RFC558 Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I see your in Madison, we have a facility there! I thought we were not allowed to mention company names??????

BIG beverage company, main office out of Atlanta :biggrin_25519:

8. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Company names are allowed, just no company websites, email addresses, phone numbers, etc.

9. Lil'Devil

Lil'Devil Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Great White North
    I agree RFC558, my very first job was a local job, I had no experience, in fact they wanted their drivers to have city work before sending them on longer runs.

I also never had a problem when I decided to go over the road at another company either. Don't always believe what everyone tells you, some people say you can't get a job unless you go to a driving school too, and I never did that either. I wouldn't believe anything these driving schools tell you.

Some people say that you can't but have they bothered to try, they might be surprised.

10. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    What's available where you live plays a factor in things. Not everyone has those kind of things within their reach. Not everyone can find the same breaks. Each person's situation and needs are different.

11. James R. Hoffa

James R. Hoffa Light Load Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Philadelphia Pa
    I never slept in a truck in my life. This "must have OTR experience" thing is fairly recent.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.