Experience needed to apply for position.

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by allforonemoney, Mar 13, 2012.

1. allforonemoney

allforonemoney Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Licensed CDL Class B driver in Northern Virginia wants to know how to get dump truck driver training and experience. I can pay but no companies are available to instruct. I have N H P S endorsements and a year's experience as a Tanker driver. Any suggestions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I would think it would be OJT and your tanker experience should get you in the door. I know there's different skills you need to know that's specific to dump trucks but also it all depends on what type of work the truck is doing. So if it were me i'd just go out and look for work and see what comes up.

4. allforonemoney

Mar 13, 2012
    Thanks for the advice! I will continue the search.-MIKE

5. ramkatral

ramkatral Heavy Load Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    I went work work with Robbie D Wood pulling a frame-less dump with no experience. A lot of companies like this simply want you to have a good amount of driving experience period, and generally will offer OJT. I came from pulling a gas tank, and had a lot of hazmat and tank experience, so they hired me without any questions. Just go ask, you might be surprised.

6. allforonemoney

Mar 13, 2012
    Thank you. I did just that and I got a positive response from a large paving company to drive one of their dump trucks after training as a "side kick" for a while and then out on my own.- Mike

7. shredfit1

shredfit1 Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    Yup, I second this....

I'd find companies in your area that do this type of work and just go down in person...

Be forewarned, bring your work clothes/boots and a hard hat.... as you may be in a truck that day.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.