Experience needed?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MrBill, Nov 21, 2006.

1. MrBill

MrBill Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2006
    After much research I am finding that the really good companies are looking for experienced drivers. I am older (56) with a variety of experiences but it looks like the only folks who want a guy like me are the companies that get slammed pretty hard on here (CRE and CRST van) . Nobody seems to know about the United Truck Driving School here in California. I am reluctant to dish out four grand for a school that goes nowhere. I am still searching. All of you guys are great with your help and advise. Keep it coming!
    Bill

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Road Dog

Road Dog Medium Load Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Mrbill,I started into trucking at about your age,54.Go to an accredited school,and get your CDL.You will have many job offers.The good companies are also looking for new drivers.Some of the larger ones are AOK,Schneider for instance seems to be a very good company to get into.Roehl is a smaller company,I signed on with them as an experienced driver.They also hire drivers fresh out of school.There are many driving jobs out there.So talk to some recruiters,find out what schools they reccomend and get on with it.GOOD LUCK

4. thummper

thummper Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2006
    orange county, ca
    this is my first post here--just got my a with doubles tanker and haz--studied for 3 hours on the test copies and passed my permit written-- then I WENT TO PROFESSIONAL TRUCK DRIVING SCHOOL IN HUNTINGTON PARK [stupid caps lock] I told them I had already driven a little and needed to brush up for the dmv test. joe low balled me a good price, $650 for 8 hours of instruction and rental/support of a truck at the montebello dmv. have him schedule an appointment there asap cause it takes a month in advance. I'm about to run my fionce thru their program. he wants to charge $1800. for an a but you can shave lessons off when you pick it up [which is always faster than you think]--I saw national there too at the dmv but after shopping around and taking a referral from my cheapo brother, pro won. theyre on slauson

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.