Experience with CNG fueled truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by TylerHarris96, Aug 30, 2018.

1. TylerHarris96

TylerHarris96 Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2018
    For anyone that drives a CNG fueled truck, how would you describe it relative to a Diesel semi? What are the pros and cons of using CNG. I understand the tanks are heavier and much more expensive, but the fuel is cheaper and will probably stay the same price for another 2 decades.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dieselViking

dieselViking Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I would be interested in this information as well. Been in the market for a new truck or two for local work anyway.

I just wish they didn't look so #### awful with that monstrosity strapped to the back of the cab.

4. Lpirtle

Lpirtle Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2019
    Owensboro, ky
    In my experience, a CNG truck doesn't have as much pulling power as a diesel.. I would certainly hate to pull a heavy load up a Tennessee grade. The truck also gets worse fuel mileage, since CNG has 40% less energy per gallon compared to diesel.

5. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I drove CNG trucks for about 7 months last year, 2014 Kenworth T660 with 12L Cummins CNG engines, and they pull just fine as long as they’re tuned properly. They have spark plugs that can foul (admittedly the tractors I drove all had +400k on them) which can make them a little weaker.

Pros: no need for DEF, run very clean, can be idled in places that don’t permit diesels to be idled.

Cons: CNG fuel can be tough to find, I had to trip plan to make sure I didn’t run out. Roughly 700 mile range, and I tried to make sure I could get fuel every 500 miles. There are apps that show where you can find fuel, but twice I found stations that were either closed entirely or were out of CNG, and a few other times I had to drop my trailer to be able to get in to fuel.

Also, your mechanic will have to understand the fuel system.

6. Lpirtle

Oct 11, 2019
    Owensboro, ky
    I didn't think about the idle policy.. I wonder if that also applies to states with no idle laws.
    Addmittingly, the CNG I drove was a training truck, so the maintenance was probably lack luster. (Ive heard that the company I am currently with is phasing out CNG due to the maintenance required on them.)

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  7. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    Spent a few months driving CNG powered trucks, hauling CNG. Truck power sucked. Ran crappy, although I suspect maintenance was at least partly to blame? Fueled truck at compressor station where loaded. As OP said, expect fuel cost is pennies? As tarm an Lpirtle said, mpg and range suck. Where I delivered, there were no CNG fueling points, so truck is fueled out of trailer with appropriate hose.
    For better or worse, times be achag'n. I suspect CNG is here to stay and demand to increase? Low cost and "green", makes two fronts happy...
    Technology will improve and hopefully gas powered trucks will get better, but in my experience I'll take the diesel powered truck eight days a week! Good luck, whatever you decide...

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    CNG as provided to Gettysburg Tour Buses dating pretty much back decades. The PA Battlefield Tours. If you didnt know they were CNG its not much difference from say a Cat on high sulphur fuel. None of that ecowatereddownBS today.

We have CNG in searcy off the exit 42 as a filling station that replaced a grand old truckstop gone forever.(I first vistied in about '92 they closed in 96) anyway the CNG is pretty quiet. A Ghost Town.

9. Lpirtle

Oct 11, 2019
    Owensboro, ky
    Well, as of right now the price of CNG is pretty close to the price of diesel especially since the Trump Administration got rid of most of the tax credits for running CNG, so as a result some companies are starting to abandon CNG. (Including Jrayl.) However, I believe that once diesel prices go back up we will be seeing more CNG trucks on the road.

Edit: I should add as well that the CNG price was about $2.60 a gallon at the Gain station in Akron, OH. Diesel is $2.99 a gallon in the same area.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Reason for edit: Added CNG price
  10. Kairen0001

Kairen0001 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2021
    Will bring this old tread up
    Today I saw brand new Volvo with sleeper and cng tank.
    Looks like Amazon’s truck…
    I even did not know that cng truck can be with sleeper
    So what’s your thoughts now?
    Or future is electric? (I do not believe that tbh)
    Gas is 2.5-2.9 but diesel approaching 6 bucks ….

11. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    The money saved on this is not having to deal with after treatment / regen issues and maintenance. But the CNG engines are not without their own set of problems. For the application that suits your needs it can work but not if your looking for longevity and a million mile truck. Mostly fleets running local that have the infrastructure for overnight slow fill fueling. Line haul cross the county. No way.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.