Experienced O/O looking for a change.

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by The Gunslinger, Dec 14, 2019.

1. The Gunslinger

The Gunslinger Bobtail Member

Dec 14, 2019
    hello there,

I am a 46 years old AZ owner operator living in Waterloo,ON. over the past 15 years working in this business I’ve been everywhere and seen everything.

currently I am doing LTL with multi temperature reefers for a small company in Newmarket,ON, spending 18 days OTR at a time with 2 days off, going from Toronto to Vancouver with on route deliveries in Winnipeg and Calgary/Edmonton, then heading south to Los Angeles and back home. it’s a family owned company where people are friendly and the money is good.

the thing is I feel like it’s time for me to move on, settle down a bit and start looking for a more normal way of life, with weekends off, closer to home and still have a decent paycheque.

I would really appreciate your suggestions finding me a similar company in Kitchener/ Waterloo-Cambridge/Guelph area. I had my fair share with Challenger when I started a long time ago, so please, no big names.

I have a brand new 2019 KENWORTH T680, a clean CVOR and abstract and I am willing to try different things if money is good.

I know it’s tough out there right now but I have faith.

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    I dunno if these guys are to "big" or not, but;

ERB/KDac Short Haul, If I was in Ontario, I would already be there.

There is also the Schneider Choice IC program, no dispatcher or planner, all thru the phone. 95% drop and hook, go home when you want. You Pay like 0.60c/L for fuel.

Curious how you like your Kenworth? X15?

4. Atlaw4u

Atlaw4u Heavy Load Member

Jun 8, 2018
    Good luck in your search.

5. liner

liner Medium Load Member

Mar 15, 2008
    ontario
    Go and see Challenger again and get on the dedicated Toyota account.Most runs will get you home every other day and every weekend.

6. The Gunslinger

Dec 14, 2019
    X15 Performance with 565HP matched with Eaton Fuller heavy duty 13 speeds automatic transmission, best engine brake ever, this thing is a thrill to drive.

thanks for your suggestions, but I might be wrong, I was thinking more like a 20-30 trucks operation kinda company close to where I live rather then go and work again for the big guys, idk...

7. The Gunslinger

Dec 14, 2019
    thanks buddy

8. The Gunslinger

Dec 14, 2019
    I’ve worked for them for about 3 years 15 years ago and idk if they’d give me a dedicated Toyota run just for showing up at their gate and ask for one, if you know what I mean

9. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    They prob would, being you're an O/O and have that much experience.

10. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    That's awesome! I had a X15 500/1850 with that same 13 speed in an International LT. Agreed on the engine brakes, its to bad the rest of the truck wasn't worth a ####. Used to take fully loaded tridem's up the smasher, at 65km/hr just humming along. I should have bought a T680/579 with one, but it was 14 months wait and 225K + APU lol. Did a new 2019 Volvo 760, and while its a great truck to drive, it literally falls apart going down the road. Also the D13 has some jam, but it strains it guts out climbing and descending grade (500/1850). The Jake's also have this ####ed up vibration in position 3, between 1500 and 1300 pulling down; that Volvo just can't figure out.

I'm at a 60 truck company right now, and I can tell you we are hurting BAD. I just came from a 150 truck company, and they collapsed. So my suggestions is to get into one of the bigger reefer places that you can stand, and ride this recession out until your truck is paid. Sucks, but the next 4 years aren't going to be about much but survival.

I would also seriously look into the Schneider Choice IC program, I know its Schneider, but they have the work and you NEVER deal with dispatch/planners. If they had it in Alberta, I would already be there. They also give you a Tablet, that runs your ELD's, but also shows you your trips/pay/fuel/deductions/expenses/taxes and everything else through an app. No more trip sheets or faxing/scanning ####. You also book all your loads thru the tablet or your phone using their app. A couple guys who moved from AB to ON are doing it, and they say they're making 11-13K Net after all deductions; pretty easy. Lots of pin to pin drop and hook, and they don't do more than 24 days in the truck. (closer to 22). Oh and they pay in USD!

Canada Owner Operators

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    not4hire Thanks this.
  11. liner

liner Medium Load Member

Mar 15, 2008
    ontario
    It doesn't hurt to ask.They have a few O/O's on Toyota that have only been at Challenger less that 6 months

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.