Experts insist on sleep screenings for truck drivers

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by rookietrucker, Dec 28, 2009.

1. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Now here it is .

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/facts-research/briefs/SleepApneaCrash-RiskStudy-TechBrief.htm

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
  4. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Hey, dont distract them with the facts! They will get what they want regardless of the truth!

5. 112racing

112racing Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    pocono's, pa
    someday you may be and old fart if you make it that long :biggrin_2551:

6. old-school

old-school Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2007
    south western ohio
    We used to feed our dog white castle burgers. A landfill smelled a lot better. but it was so much fun when it would fart it would yelp and run across the floor looking back at its rear:yes2557:

7. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    since the medical profession kills about 40,000 people a year with bad decisions/mistakes, about the same number as all highway fatalities from trucks and cars, perhaps the medical profession should lead the way with mandatory testing for all of their group.

8. LooneyTune

LooneyTune Just plain nuts

Sep 12, 2009
    Ottawa, Illinois
    When did politicians care about cost? They haven't shown me any proof yet they do. Otherwise they would stop spending money we don't have.

9. truckerdad57

truckerdad57 Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Batavia, IL
    How about 2 quick ones...

One - Driver diagnosed with sleep apnea - fatal

http://www.marksandharrison.com/deathcase.html

Two - Driver diagniosed with sleep apnea not using CPAP - he is now in jail

http://www.1011now.com/news/headlines/10524847.html

And please get your facts straight. An in-lab sleep study costs around $2,000 and there are less expensive at home studies that can be done.

Entire first year sleep apnea testing and treatment does run around $ 4,000 for top of the line lab testing and a GOOD CPAP machine.

Sleep apnea is a REAL condition that any driver that even thinks they may have it should get themselves tested. Not because FMCSA may require it.. but because it will make them so much more healthy.

Google Sleep apnea a bit. Look at what it does to high blood pressure, weight gain, thyroid, ED, depression, and a host of other health problems.

Sure there are some "snake oil salesman" out there pushing sleep apnea testing and treatment for money. But there are also a lot of drivers who probably would be dead now (I AM ONE OF THEM) if they had not been tested and gotten treated for sleep apnea.

Send me a PM and I will give you the number who to call to get your sleep apnea test.

Bob

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
    00 buckshot and kingfisher Thank this.
  10. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

Just took the sleep study last month. Cost was $1300, after insurance it cost just over $100.
    Money well spent. Over half the people tested will fail, from what I've noticed.
    I was the only driver tested, out of 14 people there. And nobody was what I would call obese........

Justa FYI.

11. truckerdad57

truckerdad57 Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Batavia, IL
    OK.. is it "fail" the sleep study.. or did they test positive for sleep apnea.

The issue is screening for sleep apnea. No GOOD doctor will order a sleep study unless they have "screened" you for sleep apnea. From your medical history and asking you questions they can make a pretty good guess that you have sleep apnea. The sleep study is to confirm the guess.

If doctors screen for sleep apnea well - as high as 80% of people sent to a sleep lab test positive for sleep apnea. It's not that the sleep labs make sure everyone who tests for sleep apnea has it..... it's that the doctors screening for sleep apnea are doing their job right and only sending people to the lab who have a high risk for having sleep apnea.

BMI> 33 is considered by FMCSA to be at high risk for sleep apnea. BMI>33 is not all that high.

Sleep apnea with truckers is a problem. JRNR is a good example of someone taking control of their health and getting treated.

Bob

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.