Expired tags.....

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by sprizo, Jul 30, 2015.

1. sprizo

sprizo Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Las Vegas
    Anyone know what the consequences would be to be driving with expired tags with a placarded tanker in Florida, or anywhere else.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    If your registration wasn't legal then technically you would be over weight.

Had a friend get stopped in SC for expired tag on the truck, IIRC it was $1700.

If its just the trailer tag then I dunno.

4. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    Expired as in the new ones are paid for at home and I have a receipt just haven't been home to get them, or expired as in I just never got anything renewed?

It makes a difference, because if you have paid for them and just don't have them with you, have someone fax you the new registration, WITH a copy of your receipt.

I suppose it could depend on the state, but it happened to us once and we were told as long as the truck had a new copy and receipt it would suffice until truck got to terminal.

5. sprizo

sprizo Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Las Vegas
    Its been 4 weeks now, and the tags for the truck are expired. Trailer is ok. The state is Florida.

Is this a driver violation, or company? when pulled over do you get a warning, or a ticket?

6. sprizo

sprizo Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Las Vegas

as far as I know, they say the paperwork is being processed, but we have no official letter stating that. I'm just worried about getting pulled over, or God forbid and accident where my paperwork was not legal.

7. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    If they are knowingly dispatching with no tags RUN away as quick as you can its not a company you want to work for

KANSAS TRANSIT and truckon Thank this.
  8. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    There's no way in hell it should take that long for "processing".....They're blowing smoke up your skirt driver.....

As for penalties? IIRC, it's both company driver. IE- co. gets a fine and a tow/storage bill possibly, YOU get CSA/PSP/WTH points, possibly points on your license, get put Out Of Service, and get to find a way home from where they stopped you.....

Like Magoo said, run like hell driver!

(Disclaimer- poster is NOT an attorney, nor an expert in anything really....Take any advice with a grain of salt and possibly a margarita or three.....)

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Its the drivers responsibility to keep on top of expired tags and permits and notify your company before they do expire.If you did that and company still isn't worried about it,I would be raising cane every day until they fax me something to keep DOT off my back.

10. ttyson

ttyson Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2015
    You wouldn't drive a truck with flat tires,so dont drive a truck unless ALL your paper is current and in the cab with you..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.