Exploded tire..Is it normal or did the repair guy screw the company?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by VA CDL Holder, Mar 26, 2017.

1. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Here's the situation. I was sent to a location to pick up an empty trailer, the only empty trailer that the company had at this particular location. I backed under it, hooked up and did a quick pretrip only to find a completely flat tire. I called it in and they sent out a local commercial tire service to fix it.

To make a long story short, there was one of those bolt seals that was cut in half as the cause of the flat. It was directly in the middle of the tread. The tire tech fixed it with a patch, remounted the tire to the rim, put it in the tire cage and aired it up. All of a sudden the tire just exploded during the air up. There was a 14" blowout point on the sidewall.

I've never seen this happen before and am wondering if it's possible that the tech just overinflated the tire so that he could sell the company a new tire and not just bill for the repair?

The tire seemed to be in decent shape except for the puncture and explosion!! What do you think?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    There is a good reason for those cages. No he is not screwing the company. The compressor would not go high enough to blow up a good tire.

1johnb, Hammer166, rearview and 10 others Thank this.
  4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    You can't tell the condition of the tire just by outside appearances....that's WHY they use that cage to air it up. I'm guessing the previous "driver" (and I use that term loosely) didn't care to be bothered with getting the tire fixed (if he even noticed it was leaking or flat) and just pulled it down the road to wherever it was he was going to be dropping it. Internally, belts are broken and the tire just isn't sound. Add 100 psi, and you saw the results.

5. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Probably felt the results running down his leg too.

6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    It was run flat and that's the result. The tire guy did nothing wrong.

EZ Money, Lepton1, MJ1657 and 4 others Thank this.
  7. VA CDL Holder

Jun 14, 2011
    When that thing exploded, it felt like being in the proximity of a flash bang grenade.....without the flash.

8. HiLoSapien

HiLoSapien Light Load Member

Mar 1, 2017
    Y'all have educated me. I picked up an empty yesterday that had been sitting for awhile. I'd already been on a goose chase to another location and the trailer there wasn't up to snuff (not food grade) so I was eager to hook and roll. This one had a flat but no signs of damage, the bead just not seated. After taking the supply line off I got it to seat with my gladhand hose, then reassembled the air supply and let my tractor air it up the rest of the way. Shut off my rig and listened for a leak. No leak, so I rolled with it. Any of you vets have an opinion?

9. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    100 psi times how many square inches of surface area? That's a LOT of energy to be released all at once...enough to kill you.

10. VA CDL Holder

Jun 14, 2011
    On a lot of occasions I've aired up tires that were real low psi's, I'm talking like 30 psi and they have all held up for me. Of course, if you read the guidelines, anything below 89 psi is considered flat and needs to be treated as such by a reputable tire shop. In the real world though, I would bet that most drivers don't even get out an air gauge and check the pressure.

11. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    89psi considered flat?? Prob not.....

Isn't it half of the maximum cold psi on the firewall??

12. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Tire was run flat and ruined the sidewall
    Driver brought it in like that I bet and said let the next person deal with it. That or never did a post trip before dropping the trl

Big Don and MJ1657 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.