Exsist out there an APP to turn android on GPS?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by bangsistro, Jan 8, 2013.

1. bangsistro

bangsistro Light Load Member

May 24, 2012
    California City CA
    Well better explain myself better here...
    I have a Galaxy II android phone with GPS service already, it become very helpful sometimes even worked better than the old Garmin I have here but ...the but is...the phone's GPS is not configured for big trucks and of course sometimes I need to be aware about where I am going to make a turn, exit and all the beautiful things you guys know about get in trouble easy -specially going to NJ or NY-. So if anyone of you guys know or used an app on its phone able to give you truck GPS routes I will really appreciate the feedback.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pokerhound67

pokerhound67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 30, 2012
    i did the research on whether it was a feasible idea...there just isnt enough money in it. id be AMAZED if someone ever did it...what would you be willing to pay for such an app? so many things would have to go into truck routing for your phone, and i didnt believe there were enough potential customers to make it worth the time and effort. went as far as discussing it with programmers... but the cost would have to be high enough that it would turn most potential customers away.

4. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Go to the Google Play Store (apps store) on your Galaxy and search for "CoPilot Truck"

That is the app you are seeking.

I also, did a search in the app store for "truck route gps" and it comes up with a couple more vendors there too. Have you tried a search yet?

5. bangsistro

bangsistro Light Load Member

May 24, 2012
    California City CA
    Thank you guys, yes I did a research in google and all that I saw takes me to Copilot,....of course also to pay $150 for the app and I was wondering if is worth to pay for it

6. Dieselboss

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Do the search in the actual app store on your Galaxy. Search for "truck route gps" and it will come up with several for you to ponder.

I see couple of cheaper alternatives there. But remember two key things about CoPilot. (1) the entire mapset is downloaded to your device. This means that you do NOT have to have a data connection to use it to navigate once it is installed. And (2) CoPilot (ALK) has been doing truck routing for the industry for over 20 years and their route database is very strong.

And yes, it is $149. The cost of tools or accessories inside a truck to either do your job, or make you more comfortable are entirely relative to how much that particular driver wants that capability or that comfort.

7. carrkool

carrkool Heavy Load Member

May 10, 2012
    adah, pa
    randy has and app there are so many trucker gps apps on the google store. and alot cheaper than buying their gps units......

8. Nakmuay

Nakmuay Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2010
    chattanooga tn
    That app is gonna eat up your phones battery I dunno how much data it uses up as well better off maybe getting a refurbished gps unit

quad core project butter smoothness

9. Dieselboss

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    (1) Battery: You are correct - ALL GPS apps eat lots of battery. If I use the Google app for instance, it will kill my battery in less than 2 hours. But that's no different than any standalone GPS either. None that I have ever seen will go all day without killing the battery. You have to plug in whatever it is regardless before too long.

(2) Data usage: You are correct - but only on apps that pull the data "live" instead of pre-loading all of the maps onto the phone or tablet. If you are going to use a phone or tablet as your primary nav device then seek out a program that does not need to be continuously pulling data. Look for one that loads it all when the app installs. The only time that those need external data is when you are using functions like live local search, weather, or traffic.

10. FFE Driver

FFE Driver Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Forget the phone...if anyone is able to give you a GPS unit that does truck specific routing 100 percent correctly 100 percent of the time, especially in New York, E. Pennsylvania, and New Jersey, I will really appreciate the feedback. Until that happens, pardon me if I refrain from risking my career and my hard earned money,

11. cowboy_tech

cowboy_tech Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Avondale, CO
    Coplilot app is the same as the PCMiller unit, and most smart phones have better hardware. As for battery life, leave it plugged in, it ain't going to hurt it. And because Coplilot doesn't need data, you can still use the phone while navigating.

sent from my EVO4gLTE
    OCed and MEANbean

Dieselboss Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.