Extra Pay for tarping

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Paramount Trucking, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Paramount Trucking

Paramount Trucking Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Quick question.. Do you pay your drivers extra for Tarping a load or is that considered part of the job and all is included in the pay.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. picaso

picaso Light Load Member

Nov 23, 2010
    end of the trail, me
    pay the driver..

4. Paramount Trucking

Paramount Trucking Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2014
    How much do you pay for tarping. I am not apposed to paying them what is the industry standard

5. Hyweighman

Hyweighman Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Pensacola, FL
    We get a extra $100.00

6. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

We charge the customer for it if the require it and in turn pay our drivers to do the tarping / untarping

7. CoronadoDriver

CoronadoDriver Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    Crst does 250.00 if I'm correct

8. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    Tarping pay may or may not be included with the line-haul to the truck. Most of the time, it is a negotiated accessorial fee charged to the shipper requiring the load to be tarped.

Since YOU own the tarps, you are allowed to take your share (to maintain expenses on said equipment). Keep in mind, the driver does ALL the work. Some times in hot, hot weather...some times in cold, cold weather...some times in ideal weather. But regardless the weather---you do NOTHING but own the equipment.

To make it easy, you may just wanna set a price and be done with it...eliminates confusion. And, the least YOU will see when tarp is required will be around $80.00. I would set my "tarp pay" to the driver at $75.00---so even on the cheapest rate, the company still gets a little something-something to put in the equipment maintenance fund....and $75.00 will make the driver happy. You COULD be generous, and split the tarp pay 90/10---keep 10% for equipment up-keep, and give the guy/gal that is busting their butt 90% of the tarp pay.

I completely despise these companies that pay $10, $20, $25 for tarping and pocket the rest---I have seen what gets charged and paid for tarping, and these jerks that sit in an air conditioned or heated office doing nothing but booking loads do not need to profit off the blood, sweat, and tears of those of us that do all the work.

Be fair, be nice, and you won't have to put a revolving door on your business front.

Jetllag Thanks this.
  9. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    35 to 50 bucks is what shippers will usually be willing to tack on for tarping. Those are real numbers in the real world. If anyone gets more than that it isn't on any regular basis.

10. flatpete77

flatpete77 Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Depends on the shipper for the amount. If the require it and have a tarp machine its in your rate, you have to pay the driver out of your profit portion. Tarping can be a real pain, take the amount of work required and figure a rate for your driver. Most played was 150, least was 25

11. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    Wow! How long has this guy been getting snowed?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.