Extreme cold weather truck preparations.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Mommas_money_maker, Dec 26, 2012.

1. nitrogen

nitrogen Medium Load Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Calgary Alberta
    You have to fasten down your wiring harness solidly to reduce vibration, and flow the soldier any further down the wire than you can help.soldier is far more solid and reliable than all but the very best compound crumpets.crimper's. If you have to use crimp terminal s get the ones that have the shrink tube on them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    crimp, shrink tube and then put RTV over the connector before you heat shrink it.

Mommas_money_maker Thanks this.
  4. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill Heavy Load Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Alberta
    Not a good idea. The air line anti freeze will turn the desiccant in the drier to mush and render it useless. Always add air line antifreeze down stream of the drier.

snowman01 Thanks this.
  5. snowman01

snowman01 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    If you have a problem with the fuel lines freezing up you can try what I did to a T2000 that was a constant problem. Water was freezing in the bottom of the fuel filter bowl where the drain petcock was and stopping the truck. The filter was positioned where wind would come up under the truck and run right onto it. I scratched my head and came up with a solution. I had some of the roll, foil bubble wrap insulation you can get at Home Depot or Lowes left so I cut a small piece off and wrapped it around the filter and secured it with zip ties. I also bought some foam pipe insulation at walmart and cut it to fit the fuel lines under the cab from the engine to the tanks. I told our genius head mechanic about it and he said it would never work but I never had a freeze up again. About a month later all our trucks were set up like this. About $15 for each truck and problem solved. I also stopped at walmart once a week and bought 2 bottles of 90% rubbing alcohol and poured one in each tank when filling and never left the truck without full tanks. When the final fueling was done before leaving the truck for a couple of days I idled it to mix the fuel up.

6. snowman01

Sep 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    I also carried gloves like these http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200485724_200485724 and used them when common work gloves were not going to cut it buy I never have problems with cold hands so I didn't use them often but I had them.
    Believe it or not but I also had a pair of battery powered socks and 4 extra batteries like these http://www.constructiongear.com/bat..._content=pla&gclid=COnHptHKwLQCFcef4AodNysAtQ
    They really do work and if the batteries run out they are wool. You can get mittens like these also but I never tried them.

7. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Seems something like THIS would be just the ticket. Pricey, but convenient.

8. MNdriver

Feb 24, 2012
    same premise, just something I learned 20+ years ago fixing trucks/trailers and such.

Always pulled the plastic insulator off the connector, put on a sleeve for heat shrink, crimp it on, RTV it, put on the heatshrink.

It's better if you can buy the un-insulated connectors.

The RTV seals the connection so you don't wick water/salt into the wires to the computers.

9. snowman01

Sep 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    when our local shop mechanic fixed a trailers lights he always did this on all connections. Of course, he hauled pulp for years and couldn't afford to be stuck in the woods or at a scale

10. Blind Driver

Blind Driver Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2006
    New Albany, IN

Be sure to check the fluid in all the lights and replace the driveshaft belts :biggrin_2559:

11. MNdriver

Feb 24, 2012

Surprised it made it this many pages before anyone caught that.

My hidden humor.

Logan76 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.