Factoring - What's normal and is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by wildbill_az, Feb 2, 2022.

1. wildbill_az

wildbill_az Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2022
    Hey Guys,
    I'm weighing my options as far as working with a factoring company is concerned and I'd like to hear how you all decide between the different options that are available.
    Specifically I'm wondering what rates are normal and what pros & cons you've experienced with working with a factoring company in the first place.

I'd really appreciate hearing about this from you all as you have much more experience than I do!

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Deadwood

Deadwood Heavy Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    What are your thoughts on building a savings nest egg so that you don’t have to factor?

makterna, Dino soar and gekko1323 Thank this.
  4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Until the last year I thought factoring was unnecessary. When I had satellite radio I listened to Kevin Rutherford explain why it makes sense, especially for the solo O/O. I believe you only want to consider using the service's non-recourse payments. Meaning, if your paperwork meets the factoring company requirements you get paid and that payment cannot be reversed. Some brokers are expert at never paying bills. And rather than raludly become an expert in collections, let the factoring company do it. Use one of the big factoring companies.

peabody747 and crocky Thank this.
  5. wildbill_az

Jan 26, 2022
    That's kinda why I'm asking.
    I'm just trying to get a better idea of if the cost of factoring and dealing with the factoring companies is enough of a con that I should try to build up the savings to not need to.

Have you found that it's better to just steer clear?

6. wildbill_az

Jan 26, 2022
    I've heard enough horror stories about brokers not paying that it's super scary to work with anyone new. Does working with a good factoring company make you feel better in that regard? I could see that being something that might make the fee feel more worth it.

7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Before you move freight for the new broker you can call the factoring company and ask if they are familiar with the broker and if anything else is required to get paid on the load. The factoring company is the expert on which brokers pay and which ones dont because they deal with hundreds of brokers per day. Factoring companies already have the experienced Accounts Receivable department and people that spend all day chasing down slow-pay or no-pay brokers.

Do you have someone in an office that can spend 6 hours on the phone trying to get payment? If you are a one-man band I would factor for a few months and then once you have lanes and regular trips experiment with direct pay.

8. Oakland Raiders Forever

Oakland Raiders Forever Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2020
    What do you think of hiring a finance company to finance the delivery of your paycheck as a truck driver ?

9. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    I know that we need to run the customer through the factor's credit approval to get that.
    Old 'family' warehouse customers that don't make the grade are handled in house.
    Chronic late payers that were factored can be deducted by the factor if it goes past their time limit which makes us folow up and fix invoice problems quickly so they pay 'em too.

10. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    What % do you pay your financial advisor?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
  11. Deadwood

Deadwood Heavy Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    If you do get a financial advisor make sure it is explicitly a fiduciary relationship that they are fee only.

Fiduciary because that’s the highest level of loyalty to the customer where they put your needs ahead of their own.

Fee only because then they derive all their income from you, their customer, and none from companies paying them commissions to sell certain securities.

RockinChair, baha and tscottme Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.