Factory warranty on Cummins X15?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Ruthless, Jun 17, 2024.

1. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    98B6DCF3-E6CB-408B-912B-F93A5DF4351B.jpeg

who has relevant thoughts on this warranty cost? Estimated annual mileage ~30-40k

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    Don’t do it old iron will outlive anything new on a 30-40k/ year truck
    As far as the warranty I would like to think that it will age out before much if anything goes wrong but then again local low miles operation seems to kill that emissions bs

4. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    You need to know what kind of wait it would be to get in for warranty work.
    We’ve moved to almost all fleet maintenance and do warranty repairs often because they can’t have a truck down for days or weeks.

W923, Vitkouski and Deere hunter Thank this.
  5. ElmerFudpucker

ElmerFudpucker Medium Load Member

May 17, 2024
    I purchased it when I bought mine. Detroit not Cummins. The only thing that I had covered under warranty was a water pump. I wouldn’t buy it again, but it was my first emissions motor and I was nervous

SL3406, YardMule89, Oxbow and 7 others Thank this.
  6. ElmerFudpucker

ElmerFudpucker Medium Load Member

May 17, 2024
    I’ve had relatively few emissions issues. One sensor and I had to clean the 7th injector. But I work it hot and hard. I think that really helps

YardMule89, 86scotty, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    I had warranty when i bought that 16 freightliner, it was through freightliner and covered everything, only thing i had to replace was that parksmart, the ACcompressor went out, they said they had to replace whole thing, was lil over $7k but warranty covered it, and it was detroit, but it was 500k/5year and it cost right at the $7k.

most sensors, nox sensors and such are problematic.

8. bamanation

bamanation Heavy Load Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Muscle Shoals ,AL
    Man, International will give 5 years 500,000 for just shy of $10,000. That covers all kinds of stuff not just the motor. 5years or 300,000 for almost $9,000 is insane.

YardMule89 and Ruthless Thank this.
  9. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    If your going to buy anything I would suggest the Base vehicle extended which usually expires after only 1 yr regardless of mileage.

5 yr 100k factory emission coverage covers all emissions related components and wiring.

So after 3 years of typical driving or cresting 100k you will have no warranties remaining.

Follow your scheduled maintenance. Pocket the money you would have spent on extended warranties for needed repairs in the future.

I assume a Paccar truck? You plan to keep for how many years?

SL3406, Oxbow, Diesel Dave and 2 others Thank this.
  10. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

paccar/ remains to be seen what kind of life it has- if its as useful as I expect it to be it will be longer than if it is more of a white elephant. Could be as little as 3 could be as many as 8 i expect.

11. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    From personal experince on the MX side at least. Paccar emissions systems are #### and widly expensive to an insane degree. Max that warranty out because if you dont maintain the #### out of that system it WILL break and even if you do. It will break. And there is a reason MX engines have such a bad rep. Expect to need major repairs/cleaning/reconditioning of the emissions system regardless of care by 500k though.

The motor itself is rock solid for the most part so you can likely skimp on the warranty there and be fine. Most make it to around 750k only needing injectors and/or a turbo and otherwise normal repairs. Its also not unusual for them to hit 1 million without being opened up. Though thats for the epa 13 and 17 motors. Dont know about the newer ones.

Also anything warranty they are going to drag their feet and they are going to skimp everywhere they can. Expect the truck to be down for days/weeks and them to fix ONLY the broken part more often then fixing the root cause.

But i own exactly 1 semi and mine is "special" so take that with a grain of salt.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.