Failed CDL skilled test 2 times

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by melissagr320, Aug 10, 2018.

1. melissagr320

melissagr320 Light Load Member

Aug 10, 2018
    I've been so down today that my eyes looked like someone beat me up. I failed the alley dock twice. I was in the hole both times but this time all I had to do was pull up but he said I pointed out. My examiner had been under review for months. He will fail you over anything. You have to be a perfectionist at the alley dock with him. So frustrated and feel like quitting. I try to vent to family friends but they just brush it off. I'm not a quitter but having been at this school a month plus, ready to give up.....

Fuelinmyveins Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Don't give up. Where are you located?
    The examiner is the problem, not you.
    What school are you in; a private school or trucking company school?

melissagr320 and Oldironfan Thank this.
  4. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I failed each section of the skills test once. That is, it took me 3 tries to pass.

My pretrip examiner was a Richard Cranium also.

Don't give up! You'll get this! You've come too far to step back now.

ranaldo20, melissagr320 and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Don't give up... If you got into the hole you got the hardest part down, take some time and practice if you can... Alone if that is a possibility. Having people around to critique you often times only compounds the pressure you feel.

Everyone has days that they will take forever, and many attempts to do an alley dock. If you don't believe me just go to a major truck stop every night for a week and participate in the spectating of drivers trying to back into a spot. Watch how they set themselves up, and take note of the setups of the guys that make it look easy. Watch their steer tires and how the trailer reacts. Then compare all that to the Drivers that struggle to get it back into a spot. This can be a great learning experience... I have picked up several techniques for backing up by watching other drivers in this very fashion. But its probably best to watch in an inconspicuous manner.

tinytim, austinmike and melissagr320 Thank this.
  6. melissagr320

Aug 10, 2018
    I go to roadmaster in Jacksonville Florida. The school has way to many students. They only have like 2 automatics. I have to keep practicing in a manual. I'm short so it's harder for me to do it in. The examiner has feedback left from other people with the same issues with failing for nothing. He had me over analyzing everything cause he wants everything straight and perfect. They treat us like we have to be perfect drivers and wasn't expecting that. In this hot sun for sometimes 10 hrs only to practice 5 times if that. Just was frustrated with myself because I have done it but this examiner got in my head making it seem like I had to be perfect or I fail.

7. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Learning to do it in a manual is a VERY good thing. Some pointers if you struggle reaching the pedals...

1. Let ALL the air out of the seat so its as low as it will go.
    2. Tilt steering wheel down as far as it will go or as far as you need, whichever happens first.
    3. Tilt the back of the seat forward slightly.
    4. Slide seat forward as far as it will go or as far as you need, whichever happens first.

Also, usually when you are backing up (or starting out going forward) you shouldnt need to worry about Appling much, if any throttle... These trucks are designed to start moving without Appling the throttle... Just let the clutch out and it should go... Even when loaded.

Hope this helps, keep at it... You will never regret getting your CDL.

misterG and melissagr320 Thank this.
  8. melissagr320

Aug 10, 2018
    It's not a good thing when you keep jerking cause you can barely reach the pedal. I'm testing in an automatic. So I should practice more in one. I'm short and when seat all the way to the front, barely reach. I'll still try your suggestions so thank you. I appreciate the kind words of encouragement. It's making me think to try again. Just honestly frustrated with how this place is ran really and how they try to push you out even if you're not ready to test. I'm going to take some days off but I will be back.... I will try to take it again.

Chinatown and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Werner owns Roadmaster so don't let them talk you into a Dollar General account. That account has derailed many, many new drivers trucking careers.

VIDEODROME, Fuelinmyveins and tinytim Thank this.
  10. melissagr320

Aug 10, 2018
    I was going to do that. I keep hearing bad things. I have to stay local till I move in 3 months. What do you recommend? I am also looking for something that may take cdl permits till I get my license as an option. Not happy with how things are here. Instructors say one thing but that examiner said I had to be perfectly straight in the box in the alley dock while they said as long as I'm in the box I'm good. But clearly the examiner wants me to be a perfectionist. So thinking of going else where with my permit if I can.

Fuelinmyveins and Chinatown Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Do not quit. I'll tell you one time something like that happened to me.

I just finished a overnight through a winter storm into PA and arrived at the customer. He was a 22 dock warehouse with a pretty paved and EMPTY few acre paved area in front of the wonderful docks with nothing in any of them. They tell me pick one and they will get to me soon enough.

I had fought a winter storm half the day prior and all the night since and had been up the day before that waiting to load to get to here. So Im pretty bad tired. A zombie basically.

After everyone got through laughing someone stuck it into a dock and I called it a day to go rest when empty. Took about a day and half to get everything all together and rested again after that episode.

That goes to show you anything is possible when trying to put a trailer somewhere. Never mind the very tight places.

Your family, if they are not part of trucking they will not help you any. Mine did not with very few exceptions.

melissagr320 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.