Failed cdl test 3x...am now questioning if trucking's really for me

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Tak, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Tak

Tak Bobtail Member

First time: failed on pretrip (yes...I know), though I performed the air brake test nearly flawlessly.
    Second time: failed on 90-degree alley dock and had a lot of pullups on the other skills (and I performed them well while in truck school).
    And today: f---ed up the air brake test and failed! I stupidly forgot to release the brakes on the applied leakage test. And I ran through a practice session just yesterday and did the air brake test just fine before doing about an hour of driving and practicing skills most of the day.

Chalk it up to nerves, maybe? But...if that's the case, maybe I shouldn't be trying to drive trucks?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Ugly

Big Ugly Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2014
    North Carolina
    I failed my test 2 times & nailed it on the 3rd try. The alley dock maneuver had me terrified but on the 3rd try, after some one on one training with an old hand instructor, I just nailed & everything clicked into place.

The real test of whether trucking is for you isn't in getting the CDL, it's once you get out there on the road & start doing he job. That'll be the time you'll know. Don't get discouraged & do it as many times as it takes to make it happen. Life, & indeed all of truck driving it seems, is just one big test so keep your chin up.

4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    It takes time.Youll ace it.I didn't think trucking was for me but I didn't give up.I put too much time into it.So you failed 3 times,do you have to wait weeks before you can retest?

5. MondoTrucker

MondoTrucker Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Nerves will get you when you got the man with the clipboard in front of you, stick with it you will be fine.

pattyj and newbietrucker007 Thank this.
  6. superpet39

superpet39 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    i understand you probably have to pay and do the test all over again (you do in ca) ....... but I think you should suck it up, and just do it........... If you're going to decide to quit this industry: atleast quit it AFTER you've tried it (you haven't yet)

TRY HARDER TO RELAX (i know its not easy), dont over think anything, and understand this:

IF you KNOW you can drive- (and i mean DRIVE), then do what you need to do to GET TO THE DRIVING PART (passing your airbrake test, and pretrip) You have no idea how many people dont make it out the parking lot because they were "worried" about the wrong things.

My suggestion would be: (if you have the choice what order to do it in)

1- Do the airbrake test-THIS is the hardest part-Take your time and do it right- because if you miss even ONE thing- AUTOMATIC FAIL "go reschedule"
    2- Pretrip- I was told the best way to pass this is to "keep on talking"- ( once the instructor knows you know what your talking about- he/she might not even make you go to the other side of the truck)

3- HEY! Now you get to finally make it out the parking lot- 4 main things- dont get stuck in neutral, dont roll back on a hill, dont hit a curb (or worse: a fire hydrant) making a right turn, and ALLWAYS keep your head moving in those mirrors, and you'll go back to the dmv a new commercial driver...... you can miss a TON of things on the actual drive test...just dont do the things above, and you'll be fine.

Good Luck

Almost forgot- dont get nervous when you see him/her writing on the clipboard: BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO WRITE ON THERE (check off boxes actually) so dont automatically think its something you did wrong

cybella, camaro68 and newbietrucker007 Thank this.
  7. fireman5523

fireman5523 Light Load Member

Feb 12, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Drove with a trainer almost every day for 3 months while I had my permit. Felt VERY confident. Until there was a man with a badge and clipboard watching me. First time I failed the pre trip so bad we never even got in the cab. Chin up, you'll get the hang of it!

8. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    I took an employee of mine 2 saturdays in a row to test for his class B cdl. He just could not get passed the pre-trip.
    He did well with it when he was going over it with me. Got in front of examiner and just caved. He told me the third Saturday that he was tired of going and he would get it this time and he did. Don't sleep too much/too little and try not to have too much caffeine. You WILL get it!!

9. Skydivedavec

Skydivedavec Medium Load Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Mid-Atlantic
  10. OzzyOKC

OzzyOKC Light Load Member

May 29, 2010
    Durant, OK
    You'd be amazed at how many folks on the forums would have a hard time passing the test today. Not that they are bad drivers at all, it's that the test is "hard". What I mean by that is, in the real world, you get as many pull ups as it takes. Pre-trips often consist of thumping the tires and checking the 4 way lights. The real life test is making it from point A to point B in one piece with no damage and no DOT encounters.

Good luck

Skydivedavec Thanks this.
  11. superpet39

superpet39 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    :biggrin_25514:

Skydivedavec Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.