failed medical due to high blood sugar/past diabetes

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DFritzKY, Jul 11, 2018.

1. DFritzKY

DFritzKY Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Yes I have a test unit, and I've been keeping it under control. 130s range. That's why I was surprised when the examiner told me she couldn't issue me the certificate.

Was diagnosed in 2013.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DFritzKY

DFritzKY Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Settle down. If you'd read my other posts, you'd see where I stated that it's under control. 130s range.

4. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    I would go fullthottle KETO diet.I'm sure you have heard of it, High Fat Low Carb, moderate protien. Give it two weeks and you should pass that physical no problem. And you can kiss that type 2 goodbye in a month.

5. James122

James122 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2018
    United States
    They didn't do a finger stick test after they found sugar in your urine? That is what they do with my. My urine always has sugar. The meds I am on makes that happen. Because of that they do a finger stick test and as long as I am below 200 then there is no need for A1C results.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Ok, keep on trucking. You know your situation. I do agree with a previous post. They should have checked closer. As to suggestions all I can add is if you feel that examination was in error you can get a 2nd opinion.

7. Pitbull Dog 500

Pitbull Dog 500 Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2018
    I have just the perfect answer for you. I have white coat blood pressure and my reading would go to the border of a one year certificate at 140/90. I got a tick bite a month ago and read that tick bacteria feeds on sugar so I completely stayed away from refined sugar. A week later, I had my blood pressure checked and it was 125/75. Apparently, it is refined sugar that causes high blood pressure. Stay away from refined sugar and wheat products for a week. Read you labels. Do not eat anything with sugar, corn syrup, high glucose corn syrup, fructose, tapioca syrup, maple syrup or any kind of syrup. Stay away from wheat as it converts to sugar. Again, read your labels. Then go take another physical, get your two year certificate and then you can go back to eating sugar and wheat again. Btw, wheat is easy to not eat but sugar is highly addictive and very hard to stay away from.

8. NoBigHurry

NoBigHurry Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2015
    As a Type 2 Diabetic myself I would freak out if I saw 130 on my meter. That is not under control and will lead to long term complications. Type 2 is a disease of deranged carbohydrate metabolism. The "cure" is don't eat carbs. If you limit yourself to about 20 grams a day thats called a "ketogenic" or keto diet.

Now you a thinking "I don't want no stinkin diet" . Well this I a typical breakfast, lunch and dinner for me:
    Breakfast -- Bacon, Eggs, Avocado and Coffee with Heavy Cream and artificial sweetener.
    Lunch -- Grilled Salmon with Béchamel sauce , Brussels sprouts roasted with Parmesan , garlic and butter
    Dinner -- Rib-eye Steak smothered in mushroom and capers roasted in butter , salad greens with Bleu Cheese dressing , bacon bits and sunflower seeds

Snack -- Wasabi almonds or macadamian nuts or pepperoni with a low carb beer

9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    My waking blood sugar is around 90 every morning. it has been as low as 58 and as high as 105. I am awake most mornings around 7AM and take 15 units of lantus and 10 unites of Novalog before breakfast. After eating I get out of the house and go for a walk. This morning I walked for about 45 minutes. I am sitting down right now as I write this about to test again. (tested) 110. I will test again about 12 30 and my Novalog shot will be based on that reading. Most days it is around 90. I agree with the 130 reading. For me that is high. However the FMCSA is good with it for drivers so this is what most examiners are wanting. I'm having a brain fart but i'm wanting to remember the FMCSA allows up to around 160 on that reading. That is high as hell in my view. Because of my Epilepsy and CAD I am under strict orders to maintain no higher then a 120. For me a 130 is a trip to the ER.

10. cybill234

cybill234 Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2017
    Hi dfritzky, rec getting the HgB A1c done asap. It is a simple blood test that measures your average glucose control over 3 months. If the result is within an ‘acceptable’ level (below 10%) then this should invalidate the results of your urine test.

- get hgb A1C checked first thing in am before meds
    - only water 1-2 days before lab draw
    - no steroids like prednisone, merrily, Dexamethasone, etc before lab draw. Can increase bs.
    - no Vit C which can caide false elevation

GOOD LUCK!

11. cybill234

cybill234 Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2017
    Edit:
    - no steroids like prednisone, Dexamethasone, medrol pack before test

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.