Failed Roadtest 2nd Time. Now Confused about 4 Way Stop Sign

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Choc_P&B_Cups_R_Awesome, May 24, 2017.

1. Choc_P&B_Cups_R_Awesome

Choc_P&B_Cups_R_Awesome Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2016
    I did bad on my 1st road test. Failed the 2nd time today. However I was told my pre trip inspection and brake test was perfect. So I did better then the first time. She said I did really good. Excellent even. The rest was downhill.

The main reason I failed was because when I was driving on the right lane, a car passed me on the right when the driver realized there weren't any parked cars on the curb anymore. Once their was an opening, that car zoomed up on me from the right.

I am now confused about 4 ways stop signs. Technically I was there first. Their was a second car on the right. Since I was there first I was about to drive but since it's the road test I figure to let that car go first. That car refused and kept waving at me to go first which was frustrating. So I did. Instructor was not happy at all. Said the car on the right has the right of way.

Now I was under the impression whoever gets there first goes first. And cars on the right go first when you both get there at the same time. So what's the law here for 4 way stop signs? Is it because It's a bus I have to wait for everyone else to go first at a 4 way stop?

Personally, I hate 4 way stop signs, in my neighborhood it's common for the other driver to just drive through a 4 way intersection without stopping.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    To the best of my knowledge you are correct. First to the intersection is the first to go. If it is a tie, you yield the right of way to the vehicle on your right, just as a vehicle on your left should yield to you.

Think you got jipped by somebody that has an ax to grind.

passingthru69, okiedokie and The Big T Thank this.
  4. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    If you arrive at the same time, you yield to the vehicle on the right. If you are there first you have the right of way.

You were right and the instructor was wrong to fail you. You were kind enough to allow the other vehicle to proceed, but they waved you on since you were first.

You have it right.

The Big T Thanks this.
  5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Well I just read the entire ADOT CDL manual on intersections, and grading / scoring during road test, and no where is this addressed in the manual.

But like I said, you got stuck with somebody with an ax to grind for whatever reason. I feel your pain. We all have to deal with people like that in our lives usually at a hurdle point like your at. Just pass next time.

Once you have your CDL in hand go back and ask her where it says in the book the rule you broke that caused you to fail the second time.

Good luck.

6. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    Sounds like you got robbed on the second attempt. Don't let it get you down. Third time is the charm, right?

7. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Would of challenged the results. Show me where in the book it says that. Just because there an instructor doesn't make them right. Don't take that kind of incompetence. STAND UP FOR YOURSELF! When you get into the business, people will try and run over the top of you.

Dave_in_AZ and driverdriver Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    4 way. Man on right has right of way. SIT AND STAY until the SOB moves. Waving does nothing. It confers no lawful command to make you move.

Some people will never get 4 ways. Even in a car. So, Sit and stay. Wait. They will move.

okiedokie and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  9. rawe

rawe Light Load Member

May 29, 2015
    Dont give you they got you on 4 way but you was right i myself let the other car go first just because of confusing but you did right good luck

10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    You'll ace it next time.

okiedokie Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.