Families living OTR

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Matthew Firestone, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Matthew Firestone

Matthew Firestone Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2015
    I am looking for anyone that brings along their kids along with spouse OTR for extended periods of time, hopefully homeschooling them along the way. I am looking to be put in touch with such families for an article about these families.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    I would be interested to know if people actually do this.

Vilhiem Thanks this.
  4. Matthew Firestone

Jun 9, 2015
  5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi Matthew, sorry, but you won't get a rosy reply from me on this. A truck is no place for a family, much less kids. Kids need to be kids, playing with other kids, school activities and such. I know things are different today, electronics and all, but still, with all the craziness out there, I wouldn't want my family with me. If it's a living issue, no where else to go, then maybe, temporarily, but there's all kinds of low rent/no rent places for low income families ( I'm living in one right now) and I just don't think it's a good idea.

6. Matthew Firestone

Jun 9, 2015

I am not looking to justify anyones personal choice or make my own decision or assumption based on it, I am purely interested in knowing whether or not there are families out on the road and hopefully would like to interview some of them to hear their stories.

7. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Go to a truck stop and when you see it offer to buy their meal. Now that school is out, you'll see more kids in the truck parking areas.

Vilhiem Thanks this.
  8. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Little House on The Freeway?

9. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
  10. Steve62

Steve62 Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2015
    Northern BC
    I take my wife for a ride once in awhile, but to much #### to look after at home. I think she might want to come more but it does not work out as we have to many animals to look after.

11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Every once in a blue moon I see a family in a truck. In the car majority of cases, it's the wife and kids tagging along for "vacation time". In a handful of cases, it's been cause it's what they had to do because they were broke. I know I wouldn't want to do it, and I don't understand how they get away with it cause it's illegal. A truck is not an rv. You got to have a seat belt for each occupant.

201 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.