Fancy Gap

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by richierich723, Dec 8, 2011.

1. richierich723

richierich723 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Lexington Kentucky
    First time in the mountains I have a top heavy load and get to go south bound on I-77. Besides going slow does anyone have any advice for me

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Drop a gear or two, and keep her slow. Take your time and enjoy the scenery.

If Fancy Gap spooks ya, don't go out west!:biggrin_2559:

Wargames, SHC, L.B. and 10 others Thank this.
  4. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

just take your time and it will be ok.

5. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    Just calm down, try to pick a time traffic is light and you are rested up, daytime would be best. It is not a bad ride, remember thousands of truckers have done it with no problem, and so can you.

volvodriver01 and Wargames Thank this.
  6. richierich723

Oct 18, 2011
    Lexington Kentucky
    I think that its just everybody I've talked to is either f'n with me or its just the nerves because Ll my paperwork says remember top heavy and I have to do it tonight load has to be there at 6 in the morning

7. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Its not too bad. After the initial drop to the first escape ramp it levels out for a bit before dropping hard again. I usually drop a gear there as its steeper and more curvey on the lower half. There is a 55 mph curve at the end by the weather station.

8. richierich723

Oct 18, 2011
    Lexington Kentucky
    Thanks figured to just stay in the right lane and go slow and steady its just good to here advice instead of being laughed at and being told "Good luck kid "

9. carolinadrifter

carolinadrifter Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I go down it with 87000 gross.drop a gear and u will be fine.i do it with big orange truck

10. puncher

puncher Medium Load Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Tn.
    You didn't say where your load originated but I see your from Lexington,Ky., so if you come across I-64, and I-77 then you should be getting used to the top heavy deal by now. The top heavy is always something to pay special attention to, never let yourself get in a situation that you might have to jerk the steering wheel, be smooth with all your moves. Good advice from everyone, never get over confident, and try to not let fear overcome you, and you should be fine. One other thing after hauling this top heavy load, haul all the others the same and you'll be a fine driver with few if any claims.

AFSTruckerswife Thanks this.
  11. richierich723

Oct 18, 2011
    Lexington Kentucky
    I don't have that much I got 72000 of wire spools. But thanks everyone for calming my nerves down its good to be able to come down here and get real advice

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.