Farm Boys Seeking CDL, DO SO NOW. CDL minimum training standards to take effect in 2020.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Cattleman84, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    So I totally agree that there needs to be a higher standard set for the training required to get a CDL. However, being a farm kid that got my CDL on my own without formal training... I also believe there should be a way for people to be able to show in truck experience inlue of SOME of said required training.

I say some, not all... There was times that I found myself not knowing something, that a school may have taught. And I've had to either get help or figure it out on my own.

Now I dont mean to imply that only farmers should be able to do this,or that only farmers have done so in the past. But in my experience farmers seem to be the most common people to get CDL without going to some official training... At least in the last 10 to 15 years.

I simply put this up to let those that have considered this avenue of getting thier CDL, that the window of opportunity is about to close.

Maybe someone can link a site or article that details this new Minimum Training Starndard.

Feedman, Rideandrepair and SteerTire Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Farmers and others like that typically have something called "common sense" which, sadly, is lacking a lot these days.

hamNbeans, windsmith, Arkansas and 8 others Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Training is not what it was in my time long ago. In those days instructors took time to teach you way more than state minimum. Some with story telling and others by practical lessons.

They can legislate all they want to, it only turns a training school into a 10,000 dollar cost monster that some will be in debt a long time to repay.

Rideandrepair and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  5. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    What training, all it was can you buy this truck, here is the keys, speed limit was 55 nation wide and any mistakes came out of my pocket. They did not have all these ridiculous laws to protect the masses, you messed up, you pay.

stwik, Rideandrepair and SteerTire Thank this.
  6. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Yup, that’s pretty much how it was when I started. I went down and plopped my money down at the DMV. And BANG! Instant truck driver. I left out on my first load the next day. Using someone else’s truck ;)

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Now theres a bunch of pre set GUIDELINES designed to place blame on the Driver First, in order to reduce Carrier/Shipper Liabilities.Good or Bad? Argue all day. Bottom line Driver needs to protect himself 1st.When it hits the fan you’re all alone.Dropped like a bad habit.

SteerTire Thanks this.
  8. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

Scroll down to Subpary E.

9. pmdriver

Nov 14, 2017
    So now the regulators will be looking at us aged folks wanting to put us through all those tests, great.

10. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Ah, what will soon become another one of those old-fart 'Back in my day...' (when there were 30 people on the road) *shakes first at sky angrily* threads...

It's basically saying 'go to school; get trained.... or don't drive a CMV'. We all knew it was coming. ####'s been on the billet since '07.

FMCSA Finally Issues Final Rule on Driver-Training Standards

11. pmdriver

Nov 14, 2017
    HEY, we had to drive them old cab overs without air seats, no power steering, thru 10 feet of snow uphill to the next stop in our skivvies.

KillingTime Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.