FARM FRESH 1969 359 PROJECT

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by BIGZILLA, May 15, 2016.

1. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    Find a way to license it outside of FL. Screw 'em. Cops and politicians make rules that work for them. Make your own rules.

PeteyFixAll and BIGZILLA Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Try a different dmv. You are betting given inaccurate information. The registration is what makes it a commercial vehicle, not the vehicle. Heck you could put farm plates on it and its cdl exempt but you would be limited in how far you can drive it.

4. BIGZILLA

BIGZILLA Heavy Load Member

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    According to the FL DMV once a vehicle has a gvw in excess of 26k it can not be reduced no matter what modifications have been made. I asked if I could get an inspection after removing one drive axle and get it registered at less than 26k gvw and they said no.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  5. BIGZILLA

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    I hope you are right but I called the regional office and Tallahassee. I will try again.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  6. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    A lot of RV's are over 26,000 and do not require a CDL. A lot of them also have Montana tags. I have registered a truely farm truck in another county, which I owned property in, because the new tax comissioner did not want to issue a cheap tag for a truck used four weeks per year. Don't give up.

Oxbow and BIGZILLA Thank this.
  7. BIGZILLA

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    I've got a brother in TX. Im betting they are more truck friently. I will call and see

PeteyFixAll Thanks this.
  8. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    You mean the irp office? Ya they only deal with commercial vehicles so won't have any idea what you are talking about. Call your local dmv. The same place you renew your car registration.

PeteyFixAll and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  9. PeteyFixAll

PeteyFixAll Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2015
    @BIGZILLA
    That's old enough, it's a bill of sale only? Isn't it?? Meaning no Title, Which would mean your paperwork "could" have no weights on it!!! And at it's age, what are the chances the door tag is still legible!!!!
    You may be able to just walk into your local DMV and they won't know any different,!!!
    It has worked in the past.

BIGZILLA Thanks this.
  10. BIGZILLA

Oct 15, 2015
    Treasure coast, Florida
    I have been talking to the dmv. The local office, the regional office and the main office in Tallahassee. I do have a title but haven't presented it. They, based soley on the vin, say it is 38,000 gvw (if memory serves). Gonna try Texas with my brothers address.

PeteyFixAll Thanks this.
  11. Hogleg

Hogleg Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Salem, Illinois
    In Illinois, I can antique license my 359 according to DMV. With the expanded antique license, can run it 6 months anywhere and 6 winter months only to shows. Also got Hagerty to insure it for $300 a year, but cannot tow anything. Other antique ins companies allow some limited towing.

Just letting your know what to look for. May have some similar options in Tx.

BIGZILLA, Bean Jr. and PeteyFixAll Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.