Fear Of Height, and going over tall bridges???

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Grumppy, Mar 27, 2023.

1. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Thought I'd just ask some of you guys who go over high bridges, over passes etc. No doubt, some people in the trucking industry have a fear of height. For those people already in the industry or who might be new drivers or those considering getting into trucking, how do you handle situations with high bridges & over passes etc.

I run in the deep south, so I don't have this problem much but I do have a couple of bridges in the bay area east of Houston, and some high overpasses in the Houston metro area.
    Bridge city (south of Orange/ Beaumont) has a pretty high bridge. It only has two lanes on the south bound side, so you are either in the left or right lane, which puts you next to the railing in either lane.
    The north bound side has 3 lanes, so I usually run the middle lane, so I have a lane on either side of me.

There is a high bridge south of Baytown, TX has a pretty high bridge but it does have 3 lanes in both directions. Again, I travel in the middle lane.

So, my advice?
    I drive as slow as traffic will let me, & focus on the lane I am in. In other words, I try not to let my peripheral vison focus into my eyesight. I focus my eyes right in front of the truck on the road I look right down at the pavement directly in front of the truck, and try not to allow anything from outside of the bridge come into my eye sight. Focus... stare... right down on the pavement, right in front of the truck & don't look anywhere else.

The high 5 in North Dallas is another example. I used to travel it in a car & didn't give it much thought. But the first time I crossed on the top level in a truck, I got a bit apprehensive. I finally got comfortable with it though.

What are your thoughts & advise for people with a fear of heights & what bridges/overpasses do you know of and is there an easy way to get around those within reason?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    Great advice .. maybe if you have a headset call someone you can have a peaceful conversation with . Or put your favourite music on a medium volume.. when I first started driving truck I was team driving in Montreal the car ahead of me locked the brakes up a skidded sideways going into a tunnel in Montreal. My trainer actually hopped in the car with the terrified driver and talked them through the tunnel then they were okay. This makes me think talking on headset to a loved one or trusted friend may help.

4. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    The ones in DFW are scary. I do the same thing do but I also sing to get my mind off it.

And every time I go on the Mississippi bridge between Arkansas and Tennessee I think that it will collapse in an earthquake and I will plunge to my watery death.

5. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Screenshot_20230327-074243_Google.jpg I don't like this one in West Virginia either. An 876 foot drop, but at least its a straight line across.

6. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I think the one across (or at least near) Hoover Dam is pretty high too. Never been across it but, I'm quite sure a lot of you have.

I guess the main thing that my mind automatically goes to is something like a steer tire blowing out & going over the side. Being side swiped by another truck etc.

Again 3 plus lanes or if the bridge is joining in both directions so I can get in the middle, its not too bad. But if its one or two lanes & its a single bridge in each direction, where I have to ride the rail across........... I don't really like that.

7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    That one doesn’t bother me so much, the concrete guardrail is high enough that you can’t really see much. Some of the ones around DFW bother me when I’m down there, I try not to think about how high up I am but a lot of times they freak me out a little bit.

8. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    I used to be way worse about that fear. I was that dude brushing the inner wall on the second story at the mall just hard nopeing. Still am to an extent.

Then my dumb ### got a job in the oilfield where i had to climb tank batterys every single day. Didnt cure me but now i can just focus on the lane and be fine. Still hate every second of heights but ive found if i just tunnel vision in on whatever i am doing i can most supress it.

9. PaulMinternational

PaulMinternational Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2022
    Dealt with a few new drivers that had issues. Always told them to focus on the road and use thier mirrors a little more. This creates something else to focus on when some would normally drift eyes right or left at something on the roadside.
    Seemed to work for them.

10. Longarm

Longarm Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2011
    The Chesapeake Bay Bridge can #### off

11. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I’ve always been scared of heights. All the years I pulled flatbed I could walk around out in the middle of the load when I was tarping, but anything close to the edges I was crawling on my hands and knees. I also have a strong dislike for anything to do with ladders.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.