Fedex Ground

Discussion in 'FedEx' started by Stormcroe, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Stormcroe

Stormcroe Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Hubbard, OH
    2 Thumbs up! It's a great O/O company. Just watch your money if you are working for a contractor.
    :hello1::hello1::hello1::hello1:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. antc7

antc7 Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2007
    West Haven, Connecticut
    know what their 'approved' CDL schools would be, can't find a list online.

4. WiseOne

WiseOne Inactive contact bullhaulerswife

Feb 8, 2004
    Truckers Report, TN
    FedEx will NOT take school grads. They have a very rigorous hiring criteria. I tried to find EXACTLY what their qualifications are, but their site is a real pain to try and find anything. BUT, I found one ad for them and this should help:

WHY are FedEx's runs run by Independent Contractors? So they can keep the Union out and the truckers split...thereby saving LOADS of $$$. This gives them one heck of an "edge" over UPS.

5. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    Weatherford Community College has a driving school in Mineral Wells at the old Ft Walters helicopter base. They claim that they are on a FED EX approved list. Oh sorry these are in TX West of Ft Worth. I am going to try and check and see if they are approved. Have talked to a couple of FedEX guys stopped here and they seem to be pretty happy with the company they are driving for. Said all of their trucks are subbed out from companies they hire to haul their freight.

6. Arizona

Arizona Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Scottsdale, Az.
    I have had two co-drivers with FedEx Phoenix. One was brand new - tore the clutch out of the truck, wanted to go down 7% grades w/o jake, tried a u-turn in a Jack-in-the-Box drive-thru, refused to sit during an ice storm and then slid off the road, pulled the trailer brake at 55 mph to "check out an air leak," and couldn't drive two miles w/o shifting, braking and chaning the cruise control. Oh yes - also thought he knew everything. The other was experienced - and was so tired the first night she ran onto the warning track 7 times the first night!

Another problem: They'll run you through a herd of deer (Utah U.S. 89) at night rather than authorize a deer-free 40 mile detour. Still another problem - too many trucks and drivers.

On the other hand, there are also some great drivers.

7. sgreer78

sgreer78 Light Load Member

Jul 26, 2008
    St Louis, MO
    Anyone here have a route with them? I applied to drive a contractors truck, but have never been contacted. I have plenty of experience, lady in the office just says once people get in a position, they don't leave.

I was curious if anyone had an idea of what the routes sell for? I know it's not cheap.

8. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    There is a big conflict with FedEx Ground and FedEx . The drivers are O/O's but sued to be classified as employees . They won on some states and the Teamsters Union is trying to move in and ratify contracts for them . FedEx's answer is to discontinue single route contracts and require O/O's to have multiple routes . This would give route options allowing the independent contractor classification . I see only negative results for O/O's and their drivers they would have to hire . The revenue would then have to be split 3 ways - FedEx , contractor , driver . I'd stay clear of them .
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4184/is_20070717/ai_n19392824

You can find more info by googling Fedex Ground employee suit .

Don't be impressed by that making $90,000 on the route . That's likely before paying fuel , truck payments , etc . When any O/O starts talking about making over $100,000 a year ask what he reported to IRS as taxable income .

9. sgreer78

sgreer78 Light Load Member

Jul 26, 2008
    St Louis, MO
    Yeah I've read all about that.

Doesn't matter anyways, I was just informed that I've finally been approved with FedEx National LTL. It's hourly!

10. analyzer

analyzer Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Working as a contactor driver is not really the way to go in my opinion. The contractors in Rialto, Ca were paying $700-$850 WkSALARY about three years ago for local T/T drivers. 99% of them will pay you on a 1099 which means no work comp coverage. A tax increase of 7.5% which is usually paid by the employer. Lack of medical insurance. However with the economy in the state that it is in this may not be a bad way to go. They do have steady frieght miles for OTR drivers. Good equipment run specific travel lanes. for OTR average load weight is about 65K. Hope this helps.

11. steelerfan67

steelerfan67 Light Load Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Lebanon, pa
    I worked for a contractor for five years and it was the best job I had. I was paid by the mile, made 800-900 a week had taxes taken out and medical insurance, christmas bonus, paid holidays and was home everyday.
    It all depends on the contractor, You need to interview the contrator just as he interviews you. There are some very bad contractors out there but there are some very good ones.
    Before you ask I am no longer there because the contractor I worked for him and his wife were older and happen to get a get a great offer to sell his business and they decided to retire as they had been there 20+ years the RPS days. I could have worked for another contractor but I knew how the others were and said forget it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.