Feds Ask For Delay Of Trucker Hour Rules

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by WiseOne, Sep 21, 2007.

1. WiseOne

WiseOne Inactive contact bullhaulerswife

Feb 8, 2004
    Truckers Report, TN
    Read More Here >> CNN Money

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Texas
    ATA is doing this because..

the big trucking companies want this, and they fill the ATA executive's pockets.

The big trucking companies want this because...

The big retailers are worried that the new rules might delay some of their freight deliveries to their stores. Can't have that.

------------

Since these rules came into play, as a result of the FMCSA throwing something together on short notice, truckers have complained about them, all except for the 34 hour restart.

Now truckers are complaining about them being changed again, but for what reason?

Is it because you won't be able to work the long hours?

Isn't it more important to concentrate your efforts on the big picture, which should be getting better compensated for the time you already spend out here as an irregular route OTR truck driver?

Or are you happy with pushing for the ability to work more hours and work yourself into the ground?

4. bbmyls2go

bbmyls2go Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    give me the ability to extend my 14 hour day by the amount of time equal to that spent in the sleeper, and I'll be happy.
    I'll even take another 10 hour break at then end of my cumulative 14.
    The 11 versus 10 hour long day is a red herring, and the 34 hour restart while good, (excellent, actually) is only shown to be irrelevant by accidents such as the Crete driver in FLA last year - he had his LEGAL 34 hour break but still fell asleep - trucking firms can't enforce off-time activitiies of drivers so the whole break is rather an honor system that can't be legislated by CRASH, PATT or the DOT.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.