Feeling this year?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Largecar359, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Jonkie

Jonkie Medium Load Member

Mar 29, 2016
    I think it'll come up once we at least know who the two candidates are and the primaries are over. When it's 50/50

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    I believe who we elect has a huge effect on our line of work.

Look at where we are now,

and look at who is running the show in D.C.

And I'm not so sure those trade agreements are helping us either.

Manufacturing is NOT returning, regardless of who you vote for.........

Kinda glad I'm retired...........

Oxbow and fordconvert Thank this.
  4. barroll

barroll Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    I'm spending a lot less time on the load boards than I was this time last year, not because I have rates and lanes locked down, but because it is so stupid easy to find a good rate. I'm seeing markets with over 30 loads to a truck daily, and I'm running over $2/mi on all miles with about 40% deadhead. I'm not seeing the $5/mi loads pop up and vanish in under 5 minutes like I used to, but $2.50-$3.50/mi isn't pulling teeth, either.

People who think the president has a huge impact on the economy, let alone the government, crack me up. Take it back to the rants section where you found it.

5. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    I love cracking people up...;)

6. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    I'm at 80% volume with my agent/one customer for the year. Spot is just hit or miss, and depends on where I'm trying to get to. FL inbound has been tough this year for me.

7. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    I saw an add up.in Jersey with the daughter of Eric Garner, calling Bernie a protester/activist just like her dad.

8. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    The economy is always off a little during presidential elections. Rates were a little soft last year for most carriers. Talking for myself and others, rates have been soft and freight has been down for most of this year. Some of that is due to the type of freight we haul. I pull open deck freight. I have gotten some decent rates this year, but I have not seen as much freight this year as is the norm. Those with contracts with shippers may be doing better on both rates and availability of freight. Winter months tend to be slower for open deck freight. If you pull vans, you may be staying busy. I have not been keeping up with the rates, but brokers with whom I have spoken, van rates are still low. It depends on where you run. If another liberal gets into the presidency, the economy will continue to slide downward. If Trump or Cruz is elected, the economy should do much better. Right now there is a lot of uncertainty in the economy. Something to keep an eye on is the minimum wage debate. If the minimum wage is force up to the $15/hour level as has happened in California and Washington, you can expect the economy to suffer. We will see additional layoffs and with that comes less expendable money for goods and services. Trucking is the first to see a downturn and first to see a recovery.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.