Female Social Worker turnin' to Truckin'-Asking for Your Insight and Advice

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Nydiation, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Nydiation

Nydiation Bobtail Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Lake Charles, La.
    Hi,

I am so psyched to find such an incredibly fine forum for someone who is just starting out. What a relief to know that there are so many people willing to share information to guide me through my new career!

Let me explain. I'm currently a Former
    Social Worker turning to Truckin'.

I'm just about to attend
    school (the 13th, for 4 weeks), and my research tells me OTR is the Best Experience, and the best money. I'm hoping that I do get a trainer the first few weeks. And, as I have given this career years of thought, I'm o.k. with the hardships that OTR can sometimes cause a driver, especially a new one.

My biggest concern is not who will sign ME, (I feel I have a good placement coordinator), but who I SHOULD go with in the beginning. While the money is always a factor, I'm looking for a company with low turnover, fair pay for a rookie, emphasis on safety, and comfortable rigs. (O.k. the last one does show I'm a girlie-girl, but a hardened social worker and long time girl scout....I'm no sissy).

My favorite part of my career, in which I spent 7 years for my
    education as a youngster (first one in my family to go to college, and financed it all as a hotel maid...proud that I didn't owe a cent upon receiving a masters degree), was definitely the driving. Driving with patients for Hospice, with clients with psych problems (sometimes actively psychotic, so I know how to hustle, even during hassles...ha), and to and from my client or family's homes (alone...ahhhh), up to 200 miles a day and more, when placement across the state was warranted. At this stage in my life, I'm ready to make the best money I can, and know that I am a confident, alert, and careful driver with a squeaky clean background. And I love to learn from those who are confident and have a passion for what they do.

That being said, in the next 60 days (or less), I hope to be interviewing with companies to find the best fit. If anyone has ideas, I would love to hear your thoughts on the best companies for rookies. Again, OTR is not a problem.

When I started my research, and before I go
    to training next week, I told myself to "Go big or go home!" So your advice here was just what I needed to hear. Thanks to the moderators for such a great site, I'll be checking regularly, and am so happy to see such a great message board. My Mom, having worked for DSL for years (Houston office, accounting) taught me that "the old masters in truck driving," are some of the finest folks there are. I hope I can be true to her memory, become one of them, and make her proud.

I'm a fourth generation Texan on her side, and fourth generation Cajun on my father's side. I guess that makes me a "Tex-jun".....though I've lived most of my life in the Lone Star State, and my heart lies deep in the heart of Texas, and always will I guess. Still, I'm proud of my Louisiana heritage, though the recession has made it even more difficult to make a living on this side of the Sabine river, especially in my field.

That being said, I'm happy to be here, proud of the career I've chosen, and hope y'all have some time to steer a rookie right. I welcome any advice on starting out, the pros, the cons, comments from other female drivers, and just any tips that will help me become a success in my "second" career.

Thanks for reading. Don't hesitate to write.

Please note that I have someone special in my life, and he supports my choice, as he does me, 100%. So I'm asking for your help thru the maze of this new world, and your professional comments will be a welcome relief to me.

Sincerely,

Nydia (as in I "need-eee-uh" your advice,
    wisdom, and philosophy!)
    "If you are learning, you are living!"

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    You couldn't have done your research very well if you are looking for a company with low turnover and think OTR is your best experience . OTR turnover rate is over 90% . Yes , a carrier with 5,000 drivers will hire 4,500 newbies a year . The major carriers have 20% less trucks in their fleet than they had 5 years ago and they don't anticipate increasing their fleet size .
    Avoid the large carriers . I don't want to discourage you though . You are in a good area for hotshotting . Research that in the expediter and hotshot forum here . Also look into expediting . Inquire with recruiters at FedEx Custom Critical and Panther . If you go to ma preapproved school you could solo in a straight truck without a trainer right out of school although teaming with an experienced driver is recommended . Want comfort ? Here's an example of an expedite truck . http://www.expeditersonline.com/classifieds/image/13700/item.html
    You can also click the main page of those classifieds to check for drivers needed .

25(2)+2, bullhaulerswife and Nydiation Thank this.
  4. Nydiation

Nydiation Bobtail Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Lake Charles, La.
    Wow. RickG...what an eye-opener. From someone who has been in this business for 35 years, I am happy you answered. It seems I have a lot more to learn than I imagined, and I imagined a lot. I would love to hot-shot...but it seemed so many here post about OTR being the best way to "get in the game." Even mentioning "sticking it out for a year or two, even if you hate it."

Thanks for your honesty, and your post. I will definitely look into what you say, and your link.

Thank you so much.....you've probably saved me a lot of time and hassle. Anybody else with similar ideas to RickG? I'm here to learn guys, and your post is exactly why I'm here.

5. heyns57

heyns57 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2006
    near Kalamazoo Speedway
    Nydia, there is a night and day difference between social work and truck driving. You will probably end up in the office within a year.

http://www.gmcarter.com/aboutus.htm

Starting in 1995, Mr. C. Gerald Carter tracked the careers of 381 drivers he had profiled with the Myers Briggs Type Inventory test (MBTI). Mr. Carter said the specific personality demands of truck driving boil down to three items: ability to spend long periods alone; ability to develop and implement plans with minimum supervision; and ability to make decisions based on facts, not feelings. Good drivers like closure, keep lists, and always plan ahead.

A more introverted and structured personality fits this job description the best according to Mr. Carter. The ideal driver temperament is defined as serious, quiet, practical, orderly, matter-of-fact, logical, realistic and dependable.

123456 and MNdriver Thank this.
  6. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I'll say if working with people as much as you have to is uncomfortable for you, driving may be a better fit, and you have the tools at your disposal to evaluate this. Most good counselors are also at least in peer groups, and some are using counseling as well. It isn't that easy or rewarding from what my acquaintances have told me, but then, driving professionally isn't for most people, either.

As far as doing something altogether different with your life, people have done stranger things than this.

Nydiation Thanks this.
  7. Nydiation

Nydiation Bobtail Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Lake Charles, La.
    To hns57:

You have very good points to make here. Fortunately, I fit the profile of the Myer Briggs, and my work for thirty years has NEVER been behind a desk, I am a tenured "direct delivery" or field worker. I woulda offed myself years ago if I had to be behind a desk.

As a worker for up to 5 counties at a time, I spent many long hours alone. It saved my sanity. As a state investigator for Elder Abuse, I had to make life-saving decisions and implement plans on my own, knowing that my supervisors would back me up later, because I was trained by the best, and because I followed the rules to the letter of the law.

Yes, I'm social. And friendly. But I am also very serious, need my quiet time desperately, and am logical, not emotional in my decisions. You don't last 30 years by being emotionally wrapped up in the lives of people that depend on you.

With terminally ill people, pyschotics (schizophrenics), and someone who testified many times on the stand to stop an abuser of an elderly or disabled person, you learn to keep your mouth shut, to deal with conflict, to problem solve. And, you better be dependable.

I appreciate what you say, but there are as many types of social workers as there are truckers. Many prefer to "push paper" behind a desk. Field workers, want to get their hands dirty, travel long distances, and solve the problem.....logically, using every resource at hand, including intellect.

I am serious about this change, and it's taken me 5 years to make it. I know many truckers, good ones, and they have encouraged me, as have people who know me personally have.

When you have been held hostage by a raving psychotic, caught in the middle of a family dispute during a patient's last days, and had guns held on you at the front door.....You get realistic...very, very, fast.

You also get tired of managing other people's lives, especially those who do not want or wish for change...and you move on.

I will consider your post more encouragement, and stand by my decision in a serious, orderly, and matter-of-fact way.

Just sayin'

Thanks, Nydia

heyns57 Thanks this.
  8. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    OTR is the easiest way to get in because the OTR carriers hire inexperienced drivers . OTR is also the easiest way to fail because those carriers have no respect for drivers and will terminate them in a heartbeat for a minor offense then give them anegative DAC report that could end their career.
    Hotshotting is challenging . It's best to try to sign on with a company like ACME .
    If you want comfort and better money with less work than OTR expediting is the way to go . You chose your own loads .Many expediters will work three or four weeks straight , get a loadd to a part of the country they want to visit and take a week off there.

Nydiation Thanks this.
  9. Jagd

Jagd Bobtail Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Kentucky
    Nydiation, I'm a newbie too but welcome to the forum. It sounds like you've put a lot of thought behind your decision to do this and with your background, you should do fine within the 1st yr. razzing of the new kid on the block. I worked as a road service mechanic for ITA (Industrial Truck & Auto) down in LA. and came upon many slightly psychotic truckers in the wee hrs. of the morning, as they sweated the down time. Always tried to make sure they were back on the road in as short a time as possible, but sometimes that was not enough before they blew, lol... Some folks will try to discourage you, those are the ones to take w/ a grain of salt. The folks that give you good, healthy advice to keep you and others around you safe and happy (or at least make things a bit more bearable) are the ones to consider. Good luck and stay safe!

Nydiation and Sadiepete Thank this.
  10. Nydiation

Nydiation Bobtail Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Lake Charles, La.
    Thanks 25(2)+2.

Methinks me do protest too much.

However, as I say, there are as many different people in social work, as there are in the trucking industry. Their personalities and type of work differ vastly, and they usually mix with their own, so to speak. A desk worker would never do what I did, 100's of miles away, holidays, middle of the night, crises management, life or death decisions, but God Bless 'em, we need 'em too, and I would crack under the pressure of "managing people on paper."

The first time I looked down a barrel of a .38, I almost quit for good. But I talked 'em down, got the job done, and had 'em headed to the nearest pokey for evaluation, where they spent a year institutionalized for severe psychotic episodes.

That's as "real" as it gets.....and I have many other war stories, so scary doesn't seem like my own life, but like a movie sometimes.

I started at 21...many left in the first year also. Those that are ruled by their emotions, just like trucker's who develop self-defeating behaviors, simply do not last 30 years. They run.

I'm just glad that I'm leaving while my sanity, my intellect, my sense of humor, and my knowledge of my strengths are still intact. Many of my colleagues, good ones, did not make it, due to abuse of alcohol, pills, or other damaging behaviors. Some still have hepatitis for life from contact with clients, or have been physically attacked, as have I, but did not make it. (A good deputy I worked with, took a bullet in front of me, simply because he arrived at the home first. His children, two girls, never got to see him as they grew from toddlers into fine young women).

How many truckers have seen the same, good buddies go down because of loneliness or pressures of the job?

Life is too short, and my decision to make this change has not been an easy one, nor will the learning curve be.

I'm as ready as I'll ever be. And thank God for all the experiences that "thinking on my feet" in my field have taught me. I rather think it will come in handy.

And, if I can't handle a little conflict or disagreement on the board here, I have no right to drive the roads with you guys.

Thanks again for your post,

Nydia (Need-ee-uh, as in I "need" all of your advice here on this board)

25(2)+2 and Sadiepete Thank this.
  11. Nydiation

Nydiation Bobtail Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Lake Charles, La.
    Thanks RickG....really good advice...I will follow up on your leads! Expediting.....I've already started my research. Thanks again!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.