Female Student Needs Honest Opinions

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by lilsister, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Killer60148

Killer60148 Light Load Member

Im going to school now. There alot of women there, they do shift really well. My girlfriend has never drove a stick and it took her aboiut 10 mins to figure it out. Best of luck to you.

doored88 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BlackLions

BlackLions Road Train Member

If after 5 yrs I'm making .39 OTR, I'd shoot myself. I'm at two yrs now and at .36 but about to change jobs... Lowest paying company I looked at was at .42.

My cousin with 7yrs exp. is at .52, small company, runs 3000-3800 and is home most weekends.

4. HotRod1

HotRod1 Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Texas
    Lilsister, drive local if you want to. I do and make the same or more than most who are OTR. Granted, I've been doing it awhile, but OTR will keep you out most of the week if your lucky, 2 to 3 weeks if you go with one of the "big" training companies. I'm not knocking anyone who does that, but there is more out there. One way you might look into is dump truck, especially now. The construction season is on and companies with government contracts like to have women on the payroll. If your God given sex will get you in the door, then go for it. To most people it's not a "big rig" and I know that is what you went to school for, but I pays usually better than OTR, and your home EVERY night. Just keep looking and you'll find something. Find out where the gravel pits are in your area and write down all the names on the trucks that go in and out. Call up the ones with the best equipment Look up your state transportation dept. scheduled road work, and find out who the contractor is and call them. If they don't do the hauling, they can lead you to who does. You can also get in touch with the Dump Truck Association for your state and find members in your area. Most big companies will have training if you've never driven dump before. That may also use belly dumps or end dump trailers. Just another way to go. Good Luck and just keep at it. It may take a little longer to find a job locally but if you keep at it you will.

5. lilsister

lilsister Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Alabama
    Thanks for some great advice HotRod! We have a couple of companies locally that I had thought about applying to, but then decided not to for some reason. I absolutely will check them out now. Thanks!!!

6. lilsister

lilsister Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Alabama
    Ok so I've settled on a company, for better or worse. Regardless of reputation, I am determined to stick it out with them for at least a year. Yes, they are a major student-hiring carrier, but I will use them as they will use me. If they become a place I can call home, then yay for me. If not, I will gain my experience required to move on to bigger and better things. I am not so idealistic to think that I can start out in this job and not have to "pay my dues", and by that I mean being a number or a warm body in the seat. I get it. And I'm willing to do it with a smile on my face. So wish me luck, y'all! I'm scared $hitle$$!!!

silenteagle, gb2nyc and NEWEST NEWBY Thank this.
  7. CNClee

CNClee Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2011
    Centeral NY
    I know this has been posted for a while & you are probley out on the road by now but your instructor is just as much to blame as the recruiter

8. CNClee

CNClee Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2011
    Centeral NY
    what ever company you have decided to start with, start putting in apps. with better companies after about 2 months solo, you would be supprised. i did 2 months solo, & applied to a smaller co, went from 26cpm to 37 cpm plus saftey bonus fuel bonus. you dont have to settle, just being a number for a year if someone is looking to hire. another thing if your (mentor,trainer or whatever they are called) starts treating you like a team & not as a student switch, they get paid to instruct not sleep. (like mine did)
    keep your chin up & the rubber down & you will do fine
    GOOD LUCK

9. Dodgeman

Dodgeman Light Load Member

May 18, 2012
    Northeast Pa.
    Unfortunatly I don't think as truckers we can carry our guns with our carry to conceal permits, Or I'd suggest getting a small .38 special ( Preferably a Lady Smith) Smith and Wesson had a special make just for women, and carry that on you at all times. I am currently trying to get my fiance into shooting and practicing targets, but she's not for it. ALthough she's not a trucker, I'd feel much safer knowing she was packing heat when she's by herself, but at least my 14 year old daughter knows how to handle the guns. She's a sharp shooter when it comes to clay pigeons, and she handles my 9mm pretty well too. Lets just say, if I'm never not home, I feel bad for the person who breaks in this house :biggrin_2551:

10. Dodgeman

Dodgeman Light Load Member

May 18, 2012
    Northeast Pa.
    PS: I forgot to mention, good luck to you. I'm a newbie to the trucking industry also. Trying to find a good company to work for that can get me home a few days a week to be with my kiddos.

11. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    Get out here and make the best of it as you would w/any job.Both male and female drivers,new and older drivers,and company and owner ops have to earn respect and give respect.For the most part you will not realize that you are in a male dominant industry until you encounter the ####### male driver that is not unlike the ####### male individual that you encountered while employed in an office enviroment.
    deal with them in the same manner-ignore them.
    best of luck to you and it will be what you make of it NOT what others make it for you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.