Figured out an easy way to break any cable seal.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Farmerbob1, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I had a three stop load with 1/4 inch cable seals the other day. Tried a new way to break the seals, and it worked quite nicely.

Two tools needed. First, a small bolt cutter, second a rubber mallet.

Use small bolt cutter on cable seal, and partially cut it. After trying to cut it 3 times or so, you should have cut more than half the strands, and damaged quite a few more.

Close the bolt cutter jaws on the cable, in the damaged section, then slap it good with the rubber mallet. The rest of the cable strands pop easy with a firm blow.

I'm still on the lookout for a wire rope cutting tool, because I do like having the right tool for the job, but the bolt cutter and mallet work very nicely.

a-trucker123 and jraulpilot1998 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Bicycle thieves use some type of cable cutter that slices through the cable with ease.

SingingWolf and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  4. Dick Danger

Dick Danger Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Seattle
    Vise grips with a wire cutter blade in the jaws works. Start with the adjustment bolt loose and tighten each time you lock down on the cable.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  5. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Yes. Wire rope cutters. I want a set, but for some freak reason they are hard to find in stores. I'll probably be forced to break down and buy a pair online, and hope they aren't trash.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I've heard that mentioned a couple times, but I have never seen this type of vice grip. Time to Google!

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Most bolt cutters have an adjustment on them. Maybe you need to tighten the jaws down a little bit.
    Once the bolt cutters were properly adjusted, I can do 1/4" cables in one - two tries.
    Another thing to try is to cut the seal connector lengthwise. I've had luck with that too.

Dan.S, QuietStorm and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  8. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I checked the jaw bolts recently, they were tight. The problem is wear and tear on the blades I think. After a couple dozen cables and bolt-type seals, the blades have some wear.

The cutter and mallet works very nicely for me. No need to buy a new bolt cutter now, since it still works fine for bolts.

9. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
  10. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Map gas?

Is that a regional truck stop name, or something?

11. jraulpilot1998

jraulpilot1998 Medium Load Member

Aug 20, 2014
    All over U.S.A
    Well...
    Fellow drivers I would like to share this with you and "cut" your seal cable "cutting time" to 3 seconds with No effort. I have used this method for over 15yrs. Buy a "one to four" flame butane Cigar lighter. Light it up, place the flame on the curbature of the seal cable, count 3 seconds, "BUOALA"; (the cable will glow red and split due to Tension realease. ) No effort..! 3 seconds.

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.