Figureing Loaded weight, question.

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Rickp334, Aug 12, 2018.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    New trucks have always had the hype of being better. It's been hyped for years.
    Ford does it every year with the new models coming out. 19 has more towing capacity then 18 which has more then 17 which has more then 16 models.

I guess at the turn of the century. Ford couldn't haul anything heavier then a rabbit. Now they're up to 2 rabbits.

Rickp334 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    That dually is definitely not 5500lbs. Try 7ish.

Ruthless and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  4. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I have a 2001 F250 with the 7.3 and the GVRW is 20K. That is truck, trailer and load. That's a lot of weight for a truck that weighs 1/4 what our bobtails weigh. In fact, if the truck weighs 5000 and can haul 20K total, our bobtails weight 20 and can haul 80K total so pound for pound, the small trucks pull as hard as the larger ones do.

The newest 6.7L powerstroke is a beast, until it has a problem. The old 7.3 is a straight pipe dirty diesel. Still modern enough to have a computer in it, but no DEF to worry about. The 6.7 has a beast of a DEF system that, when it fails, will cost you 12 grand to fix and Ford will not cover it, even under warranty. They will say they found a drop of fuel in your fuel tank which voids the warranty for the exhaust. Don't believe me? Read up on Ford forums. One guy dropped 75 G's into a brand new 2017 F350 platinum and like 12000 miles later the DEF system went out. Ford refused to fix the problem and that truck cost him another 12 grand to put back on the road.

5. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I definitely think there is some hype to it but on the pickup side there are certainly improvements that have been made over the past twenty years. I started towing heavy goosenecks in 1994 and there is no way the pickups back then could do what they can now. The improvements in braking alone are crazy not to mention hp/tq have doubled as well as transmissions coming a long way. This is on pickups though. Semis are a different story. They have always been built to to do the work.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  6. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I think whether they are "improvements" or just "changes" could be left up to the opinion of the individual.

A 7.3 can be rebuilt for 2/3 the cost of a rebuilt exhaust system on a 6.7. I mean.....is something really "better" if it costs 10 times what it used to? Or I should say, is it 10 times better than it used to be? I can promise you I'll give any 2018 F-250 with a 6.7 a pull for its money with my 7.3 and I won't break the bank doing it.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  7. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I have owned a half dozen 7.3’s over the years. Sold my last one three weeks ago. They are great dependable motors. That being said your 2001 is rated at around 250 hp and 500 ft lb tq. The latest 6.7 is rated at around 450 hp and 925 ft lb tq which is nearly double. Having owned both I can definitely say the newer ones will outpull the older ones.

When it comes to repairs yes the 7.3s are simpler and cheaper to fix but honestly we haven’t had any trouble with the emissions crap on our newer diesels. We have had or currently have a total of six newer diesel pickups with the DEF and have not had a single problem out of any of them related to the DEF or emissions.

flatbedcarrier and AModelCat Thank this.
  8. Rickp334

Rickp334 Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2018
    Alabama
    I'm just lost. I see these trucks pulling 3 cars all the time. Lol are they just saying screw it and letting it fly?

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  9. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I will add an old 12 valve 5.9 can be made to put 1000 torque output cheap, and a manual is always the best option. But in saying that the old dodge trucks are not strong enough built to handle much work daily. This is why people build fummins, or chummins , trucks.

10. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I love the 5.9s. I have had three of them though they were 24 valve. Great motors. I have no doubts they can be modified to do whatever. Kind of hard to compare custom swaps or modifications to what comes off the assembly line though.

11. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    The other day I say a 4 place car load, being pulled by a newer Ram.
    Honestly you could buy and old farm semi for cheap around $3000 to $10,000. And have bed to sleep on.

Rickp334 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.