Finally getting to chase my childhood dream

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by MrCharlieTodd, Apr 12, 2022.

1. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I delivered bananas from Biloxi Mississippi to Parkersburg and Bluefield regularly .

Boondock, MrCharlieTodd and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MrCharlieTodd

MrCharlieTodd Bobtail Member

Mar 16, 2022
    Parkersburg, WV
    I almost chose Roehl. It was close. My F.I.L. went through the GYCDL program there and drove for them for a while before he stepped out of trucking. I chose Millis because the closest training to me is only 3 hours, versus like 8 for Roehl. And if something changes and I don't make it 1 year at Millis, I owe them significantly less money than I would at Roehl.

Thats awesome you were able to get a local gig making good money with less than 6 months experience. Thatd be awesome if I fell into something like that, but i was determined to tough it out as long as I have my wife behind me. Regardless failure isn't an option for me either.

Like you were, I am a nervous wreck because of our newborn. Before she was born I was still determined, even against my family, but the day after she was born, it changed. I started to panick and worry and the doubts and rejection of my family started flooding again.

Boondock and Kyle G. Thank this.
  4. MrCharlieTodd

MrCharlieTodd Bobtail Member

Mar 16, 2022
    Parkersburg, WV

If we do decide to move, Texas will probably be where we go as my wife has family there, in Marshall.
    I've thought about Florida.

How was China?

Boondock and austinmike Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Love China. Own a home there. Wife and children love it there.
    Wife makes me wear a shock collar.
    [​IMG][​IMG],[​IMG].[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
  6. TexasRiverRat

TexasRiverRat Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2021
    The only person you should be listening to for advice is your wife. If she's got your back, why do you care what your family says?

They'll get over it or they won't, but it's not up to them to make decisions for you any longer. It's time for you to make decisions that benefit your wife and new child.

#### the consequences, do what's best for your household, your wife, and your children.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    Boondock, MrCharlieTodd and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. leviant0107

leviant0107 Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    Detroit, MI
    It’ll pass with the success and we’ll be here waiting to hear the good news.

Yeah, started out at Sysco. Did that for 3 weeks and got straight into fuel hauling. Went back to my old mechanic job to get some settlement money and driving part time now until it comes through so I can quit.

Like you I plan to grab my own tractor and take advantage of my lovely home of Michigans horrible roads and go the way of the local end dump and gravel train. Asphalt paving, construction etc. big money in it. Good luck to you

MrCharlieTodd Thanks this.
  8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Okay, look, Chinatown is going to give his rendition of what trucking is, I don't buy it, sorry. We've long disagreed what's right and his pictures of lonely Asian women who have no chance of any future, unless they get out, does nothing for me either.. Of course the wife is going to say go for it, she wants stability, especially with a family now, but let me tell you, pal, 9 days of a screaming kid will make anyone want a break, and you won't be there. It's the kiss of death for a relationship, and I GUARANTEE, she'll change her tune. My EX( ex is capitalized for a reason) knew I was a trucker when she married me,,boy, did THAT ever go south in a hurry. PLUS, you're going to miss the most fun of having a kid, before the world changes them forever. Why I say this? I was a regional driver, and tried my darndest to be there, and I traded missing a lot of sleep, so I could see their soccer game, or whatever. Get a local job, and save OTR for when the kid doesn't talk to you anymore, but when they are small, YOU are their hero, and you NEED to be there,,it's one reason why our world is so F'd up today, the family isn't there,,and that's that!:biggrin_25516:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  9. leviant0107

Oct 24, 2021
    Detroit, MI
    Agreed as far as saying #### OTR and stay local. Lol. No reason why you can’t make 2k+ running dumps local

201 Thanks this.
  10. leviant0107

Oct 24, 2021
    Detroit, MI
    Completely unrelated but I shot you a PM

11. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    You did?Never got it, Hmm, maybe the staff is "watching" me. I hope you aren't pixxed, I try and "tell it like it is",,,or was, anyway, I AM pretty vocal on matters that are fading. I can only say what happened to me, and countless others, how trucking RUINED our lives, and it's pretty obvious to draw a conclusion. We were providing for our families the only way we could, and it's not good for relationships. For many, like this person, it may be the "last resort", and that's never a good thing. Heck, Walmart is paying almost $22/hr. why would you sit in a truck stop in Nebraska on Xmas day, holding your phone, while the little one takes their 1st steps. IDK, I wanted to be there for that, up to them, I suppose.
    Don't get me totally wrong, for a single person or husband/wife, it's a good job, but not many here will tell of family success stories with OTR.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.