Finally got my own truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BoyWander, Jan 1, 2017.

1. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    That’s my plan as well. Get PTT and spend another couple grand on tools and just do it myself. Get ahead of the curve where I can and limit breakdowns with due diligence and best service practices. I don’t think you can prevent them all...

So all I need now is to finish school, find a carrier, get experience, buy a truck, become an O/O with good lanes and. Freight, buy tools and manuals and ride off into the sunset. Easy huh? Hahahaha

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    I wish it were that easy. I called on a local dedicated lane running tankers the other day, and I met all of the criteria they required except for having multiple trucks. They wanted to be covered in case a truck breaks down or driver can't make it.

otterinthewater Thanks this.
  4. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Ya. The constant push/pull of business and prerequisites. *sigh*

loudtom Thanks this.
  5. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    Small issue ... Go through the Quarterly reports for the publicly traded carriers and thier reported revenue per loaded mile through last year was around $2, for dry van.

WI R_Ed and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    C'mon, nobody is paying $20000 per week on 3000 miles with general freight.
    On shorter miles that $5-7 per mile is nothing to write home about in this market

7. LoJackDatHo

LoJackDatHo Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2017
    According to this big wheel they are. He says us small carriers have no idea what’s going on and I believe him. I confirmed it with another big shot at a different company that says they don’t backhaul for less than $4.00 a mile. They come back empty if it’s less. I’ll never have enough trucks to even try it, but would like to. Look I’m just passing on info. I tried to get in but again I’m not big enough

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  8. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I have not been to AZ in 12 years or so.

I'm sure there are some places that absolutely have to have trucks for profitable freight where shipping costs doesn't affect price or cost of goods as much as, who over pay out of necessity to have a dedicated fleet handle its stuff. But even so, I can't imagine there are companies who are just going to tolerate paying more than $2500 on a one day shipment. 600 miles or less, for dry van stuff. Even reefer or flatbed. Unless it's going to a dead hole and the price includes deadheading straight back. I can see $3000 on 500-600 miles max. Hardly ever see that on DAT board even going into no man's land.

daf105paccar Thanks this.
  9. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    If I told you that I removed the engine in my truck and installed a mast and sail in its place would you believe that?

T.Rucker, Bean Jr., mslashbar and 3 others Thank this.
  10. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    I call BS it does not happen daily no company will pay that rate on a daily bases. Your so called expert is not some one can believe

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Nothing specialized about it. We are getting that number for stuff as simple and easy as shingles. Load I'm on right now is jusr over 4 a mile on just under 1k miles. Add in my carriers cut of 25% of the linehaul and it gives a rough ball park figure of 5.25 a mile billed to the customer. And quite frankly i considered this a crap load compared to what I've been doing this year. Its not only short of where i wanted to go, but its god awful heavy. I hate pulling 46k lbs of shingles when 20 miles down the road i can load 5k lbs of insulation panels. Unfortunately the insulation loads this weekend was going the wrong direction and i was ready to head back home. Tuesday makes 3 weeks since i left the house, that's ridiculously long for me. I'm just shy of 15k on the month but will hit the 15 mark if i can get a load going home tomorrow. If i don't find one by 10 am ill deadhead the last 250 miles. And stay there till the following week. The last week of June is traditionally the best week of the year(except for stupid fema money after a disaster like a hurricane) if i don't load that Monday ill probably deadhead the thousand miles up to ky or ohio so I'm ready to gouge the heck out of them Wednesday Thursday and Friday.

Feedman and LoJackDatHo Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.