Finally got my own truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BoyWander, Jan 1, 2017.

1. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    See, running a truck under mileage pay, under a large carrier, takes out a lot of the learning. Because you run the miles, make your payments, maybe learn to change your driving habits a bit, start managing income as a 1099, become more involved on how to fuel, pay a 2290, and start to see repair bills.

If going full independent, that leaves out filing for authority, dot #, insurance/cargo/liability side, ucr, registration, signing up- filing- and building a system for Ifta, drug testing and in house compliance setting up for safety audits, compliance outside the office, troubleshooting skills, wrench turning skills and tool building, setting up a fuel discount program and where to fuel, working with customers directly (brokerages and direct), factoring or not factoring, building a system for credit checking customers if not factoring, choosing an invoicing and accounting system, getting a trailer, loadboards, learning freight do’s and don’ts of the freight lanes and locations you choose, negotiations, knowing when to ask for more, when to say no, and what incomes are worth your time for what regions. Money management **(of course)** which each little thing I mentioned goes into money management because the better and more efficient you do those things the more you might shave off your cost.

If leasing to a company like Landstar or Mercer, it still leaves out the loadboard, freight side of seeing and knowing more about what everything pays. Booking yourself with enough time to get the job done and to do it in the most strategic way when possible. The maintenance side of things (if you are currently under full warranty), ... and etc

So yes, there is experience in working under a mileage based system, under a large carrier, with a truck under warranty, but it leaves room for passive studying instead of hands on because most of what I mentioned above just doesn’t apply much in the mileage based, large carrier scenario. And in dealing with what’s in front of you, getting miles, making truck notes and staying profitable, it can be easy for one to not engage on furthered experience outside of that realm.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Aren't you allowed to see the freight bills from the company you're leased to if you're paid percentage, but not under mileage?

4. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    There are a lot of guys I know who are content to run under someone else's numbers.

They get their dispatch, run their miles, scan the completed load and collect their settlements every 2 weeks with all the deductions taken out for them.

To each their own I guess.

Oxbow and HopeOverMope Thank this.
  5. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Yeah exactly, same here. I was just putting a little similey face bug in @Farmerbob1 ’s ear, you know, Since he mentioned learning while under the mega. No offense to him though

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Oxbow Thanks this.
  6. 2CAN

2CAN Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Leasing is like.having training wheels, you can learn as much as the companies will show you and more if you pay attention.

I have leased to a couple different small companies all percentage based, a guy can do ok.

The biggest issue for me was having another company influence my ability to earn. Why build someone else's business when you can build your own?

Feedman and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  7. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I am not leasing the truck. You can call it whatever you want, but I am an owner operator.

8. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Are you under forced dispatch, or can you refuse loads?

9. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I can refuse loads. However, I do work as part of an account that is nearly 100% drop and hook, so I have not refused any yet. Probably will not unless it interferes with home time.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  10. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I think you're confusing things. Lease purchase vs lease operator. What they call lease operator is what you call owner operator.

They see owner operator as you own the truck, you own the carrier. Lease operator, you lease the truck you own to a carrier. Lease purchase, you are leasing the truck from the carrier and if you finish the lease, you can purchase the truck at a lower amount than if they sold it then. If you don't finish paying for it, you have no equity.

11. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    If you own the truck, and work for a company, you are a contract emoloyee, or a 10-99 employee. No need to use the word 'lease' to describe a situation where there is no actual lease. But, yes, I have seen people misusing the word.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.