Finally got my own truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BoyWander, Jan 1, 2017.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    The only problem with a 780 is they are too heavy. Being solo I'd prefer the 670 or smaller.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Road Killer and x1Heavy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    TOO heavy? Pray tell what are you hauling? Kentucky allows 70 ton on coal loads don't they?

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  4. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Yes they are heavy and the 2003 and older 770's were way heavier. They did trim some of the weight down. I pull a dry van and reefer. I can scale a hair over 47,000 lbs in the van and a hair over 45,000 lbs in the reefer. I am only talking about legal loads here. If I was hauling 70,000 lb loads of coal in Kentucky I would be doing it with lightweight spec'd day cab like most of them up there, most certainly not a 770 Volvo.

mjd4277, Road Killer and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    So they are heavy. Whew. 45 aint nothing you want 47 on up.

That's a shame. Bloat on weight on those nice sleeper trucks. I guess I gotta find something else to drool over.

Road Killer Thanks this.
  6. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I had planned on going to get my plates today, but state IRP office is closed along with all other state offices. New Year's Day fell on a Sunday, and I guess that isn't fair that they don't get the extra day off, so they schedule one anyways.

I've been out there getting familiar with the underside of my truck.

3 air tanks underneath the battery compartment. Only one of them has a pull cable to drain the air. Maybe I should go get fittings and cables so that I can drain the air from all 3?

I also read through the entire manual a couple of times.
    The transmission has an air tank that I'm supposed to drain the air out of daily. I think I found the tank, behind the driver side fuel tank, next to the drive shaft. But it is like 6 ft from the transmission itself. I can't imagine what else that particular air tank goes to.

There is no drain fitting on there either. There is a type of turn valve that I could open to drain but it is really tight. There is also another screw valve just like the fittings you'd put over the tire air pressure stems. I unscrewed that and looked at it.

I think I'm going to have to go get some fittings and cables to be able to drain the air from these tanks.

According to the manual, I also need to re-tighten my lug nuts with a torque wrench to 450lbs/ft.

I also think I'm going to go get a PM service soon. It's been 4-5 months since the truck left the factory.

x1Heavy, mjd4277 and Road Killer Thank this.
  7. Liquidforce

Liquidforce Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Savannah GA
    If you have time to kill, go over all the clamps and accessible bolts and grab yourself a big pack of zip ties and check for any hoses/looms that look like they are or could rub, and tie them away. Of all the heavy machinery I've purchased their hasn't been one that has come perfect from the factory.

9417, MarkH129, Road Killer and 7 others Thank this.
  8. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    You're crazy. Most o/o out here can't scale more than 43,000 lbs with a reefer. Being able to scale 45,000 lbs with one is a good thing.

Road Killer Thanks this.
  9. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I have pulled the trigger on 4 new trucks in my 40 year career, after the only used truck I have ever had almost put me out of business in less than a year.
    Your situation is ideal. I have no question in my mind you will succeed. You are already familiarizing your self with the truck. Crawl over and under it frequenttly and know what everything should look like. Get the total service manual on disc that the dealers use. Although you probably are not going to do that level of maintenance, it will give you the information to tell if someone is bulls****ing you
    Very satisfying experience. Enjoy.

mjd4277, MarkH129, SQ200 and 6 others Thank this.
  10. rasymacmac21

rasymacmac21 Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2009
    East of the Mississippi.
    Good luck in your endeavors. Going to be a lot of up and downs.

Road Killer Thanks this.
  11. hammerstrap

hammerstrap Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2012
    I hope you are going to use VIP and not Hank Graff.

Road Killer Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.