Finally got my own truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BoyWander, Jan 1, 2017.

1. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I will take any recommendations in Flint. I did search for Volvo dealerships and Graff came up - I gather you don't recommend them, where is VIP? Thanks.

Road Killer Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    I think VIP is in Livonia. Other than Graff, I think your only other Volvo dealer is M&K.

Road Killer and BoyWander Thank this.
  4. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    The foam matress is a poor excuse. Get an innerspring mattress, the foam one is so you can move the matress and fold up the table if your truck is so equipped.

Road Killer and BoyWander Thank this.
  5. colorado18spd

colorado18spd Medium Load Member

Mar 10, 2013
    @BoyWander try OTR Performance north of Detroit.

6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Hard to believe 5 pages of comments and not a single, solitary pic of this new truck. Comon driver post up a pic of that rig I know you're proud of it.

mjd4277, Bfr38, Road Killer and 9 others Thank this.
  7. BoyWander

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
  8. colorado18spd

Mar 10, 2013
  9. BoyWander

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Just put the decals on today that my boss sent me.

Went to Lansing and got my plates today. There must have been 15 other drivers in that room, and there MAY have been one other that spoke English as a first language. The employees there did a very good job at making the process seamless and simple. And they were very polite, too. I was actually stunned. I was in and out of there in 1 hour.

I got 6 month plates, it was only $973. But I will have to renew at the end of June. I didn't have to fill out which states I wanted and which states I didn't. The first time you register, you get the whole kit n kaboom. When I renew, then I'll have to fill out the whole thing.

So the $830 I saved by not getting the 12month plate, I now have it to go and get a Webasto heater. The place that they make their bunk heaters is right in my town, too. I am thinking about going up to the plant and talking with someone and see if I can check out the whole process on how they make them, see all the models, act all interested and maybe they will use it as a public relations thing and give me a free bunk heater. Wish I knew someone that worked there....

Still have to go and get my DOT inspection, too. I was probably going to just go to Graff in Flint, since they are only 20-25 mins away. They don't seem to have many bad reviews, but VIP in Livonia has a ton of bad reviews.

And then I for the heater, well I might go up to Saginaw where a dealership is and see about having one installed. They would be the closest, but I wonder if anyone recommends somewhere else I could get a good bunk heater w/installation?

Did a little grocery shopping today. Got a bunch of granola bars, bananas and oranges. I didn't know what else to get. Normally I would bring these, and just eat Subway every day when I was on the road before. But I'd like to learn to eat cheaper and better. I just do not know how to cook anything. I can make spaghetti, macaroni and cheese, and grilled cheese sandwiches, along with anything else that can easily be prepared in a microwave. Soup, pizza rolls, etc. I need to learn how to cook anyways. I'm a big sandwich guy. Turkey and cheese sandwiches on wheat bread, with spinach and mustard.

I'm not sure how good the fridge is in this thing. I haven't tried it yet, and now sure if it will drain the batteries if the truck is shut off for 9 hours at a time.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Road Killer and SavageSam Thank this.
  10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Nice.... for what it's worth if I was going to get a current EPA emissions tractor I would also opt for Volvo with a D13 and I-shift. I'd have to turn in my KW card but that's the truck I would get if I was getting a new one. It would be a midroof 670 with a roof fairing though, not a 780.

11. colorado18spd

Mar 10, 2013
    What's the rear ends ratio?

Road Killer Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.