Finally got some fenders on my truck..

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by crocky, Jun 17, 2021.

1. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I didn't want to pay $500-600 for those plastic fenders everyone has so I made some. These will likely be temporary as I'll be eventually changing out the hitch for a 5th wheel. My welding is a bit very rusty but fairly happy with them.

I still need to cover up the frame and get my side boxes on. That will be next.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Those look much better than the plastic ones.

clausland, crocky and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. jeffman164

jeffman164 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Me likes !!

crocky Thanks this.
  5. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I don't mind the plastic ones but every set I see has broken mounts where they mount the fender to the metal bars. I can't see paying $500-600 for the mounts/fenders that I know will break. I mean all this time those fenders have been out and they can't be bothered to improve the mounts I simply don't want to give companies like that my money.

I was actually considering building a mold for fiberglass hotshot fenders so they could be painted body color but I had the 2 sheets of diamond plate that were identical in size and almost perfect length for fenders so I just built these. I'd have liked the diamond plate to be a bit longer so I could have done a more typical fender with the bend in front and back but screw it these will work better than my previous 2x2's bungee corded to the frame with mudflaps.. lol

clausland, 24kHotshot and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Broke one of those mounts when I installed the airbags by accident. I over tightened and it just cracked in half lol. They are actually a type of rubber but got brittle with time.

crocky Thanks this.
  7. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I don't think any of those poly fenders hold up very well long term. Mine rattle around and make a lot of noise. Those look cool.

crocky Thanks this.
  8. Brandonpdx

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I wonder why they've never made the inside dual wheel aluminum on the smaller trucks.

9. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    The manufacurers are cheap. on flip side the 19.5 rims cost a lot more in most cases than semi-wheels.

10. Brandonpdx

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    But can you put two aluminum wheels on the rear axle? I notice your spare is also aluminum.

Not to split hairs or be obnoxious but 19.5" are "semi-wheels", just not the common 22.5" size that most trucks have. 24.5" are also less common and more expensive.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.