Finally picked up my dream truck!

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Bean Jr., Jan 18, 2017.

1. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Here's the cab from the sleeper. 20170119_044954.jpg 20170119_044947.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hoodoo Voodoo

Hoodoo Voodoo Medium Load Member

Wow well that's it then sounds like it's settled you found your unicorn. Every ten years or so everyone comes across their unicorn and some way or another some form or other and it sounds like you found yours definitely looks like it

G13Tomcat and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    I have a laundry list of repairs, most of which are minor. Power windows work, but when I tried to roll driver's side back up it wouldn't go. I didn't have my tools with me, so I couldn't open dash up. First day, I was on US 2 in MT, with mid 40s, so I was OK. Yesterday I started from Beach, ND in the low 20s, and it dropped to 18 before I got to Fargo, which is the home town of the baseball player who really holds the single season home run record, unless you consider that he should have an asterisk because he had 8 more games. Anyhoo, I borrowed a torx driver from the Love's tire shop, opened the dash and switched to the switch for the right side. Without my hands feeling like they were frostbite, I could buckle down to do so driving, without stopping.

The heater motor in the Sleeper doesn't work, and I don't think it is just a fuse. The panel that supports the mattress has all the screws removed, and you access the HVAC through it. Me thinks someone may have tried to fix it before.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  5. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Way to go, that is going to a nice ride with a little work for sure. Wish I could run up on a KW or Pete like you did.
    Thought I had found a Numbers 359 Pete. Guy close to me owned it. He got the best of the 400 in it. And then got cancer, so it never got a new engine. Truck was clean and sharp. But had sat for the last 15 years. And rotting down, his widow did offer it to me last year. Get this $20,000. Because a guy offered that to her the year after it was parked. Now it would need new everything to just get in the road.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  6. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    Much of the early stuff will be strictly functional. Today I had the right windshield reached at Safelite. Then I'm going to the shop and pulling the fenders. I'll get a chassis lube tonight.

tnpete and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  7. blade

blade Heavy Load Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Some where, Mo
    Great thread congrats on the dream and good luck on the refurbish

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  8. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Congrats Bean!!! Looks like a dang good truck to start with. I'm right there with ya on "the list" of things to do lol. Just finished installing all 8 airbags tonight. Green with envy of your interior lol, mine is more plain. Looking forward to your finished product. Be safe out there.

Attached Files:

Ruthless Thanks this.
  9. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
  10. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    That looks sharp! Keep sharing your pictures.

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  11. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    I took it to have the clutch adjusted as there was zero free play. They couldn't get it to move, and another shop couldn't either. After both of them trying, I got about 3/8" free play, and I figured that would last me so I could earn a little and fix other things.

While coming back, I started to notice the free play was increasing, and by the time I got back, the clutch was on the floor. No slippage. I checked to see if maybe the bell crank was loose on the through shaft in the bell housing, but no joy. Probably a throw out bearing, which means the clutch needs to be done now. No sense fixing that and not replacing the clutch.

OLDSKOOLERnWV and tnpete Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.