Finally picked up my dream truck!

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Bean Jr., Jan 18, 2017.

1. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Look at the bright side. Going to make a nice truck and will have a new Clutch and pressure plate along with thowout bearing.
    But I did see one do that around 1994, We adjusted the slack and ran it for 7 months. But ours had a bad double nut. That double threaded adjustment nut on the linkage. It had slipped and caused more issues. I started driving the truck, the owner told me it would need a new Clutch any day. He was right 7 months later it started slipping with 26 ton of sand on the back of the old gal. Tri-axle dump truck.
    Just remember if you need to get rid of that piece of junk. Let me know and I will give you your money back.;) Man I hope I can run up on a buy like that within the next 2 years..
    Pete

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Oh, no complaints here. I was just hopeful to get a few other things first, like shocks and some drive tires.

On the other hand, I had 3 easy fixes. Both cab doors and the sleeper door on the left were real stubborn to lock and unlock. I got a can of 3-in-1 lock lubricant. Now they're working fine.

tnpete and OLDSKOOLERnWV Thank this.
  4. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    I was fortunate with the clutch deal, pulled the bad engine out and had a good clutch, added a new clutch brake and let it be. Don't forget to look at the heim joints on your clutch rod, mine were worn excessively. Looking forward to your progress.

Attached Files:

5. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    What engine and Trans do you have?

6. OLDSKOOLERnWV

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    @Bean Jr. Mine was ordered from the factory as a Glider by Sheppard Industries in Pennsylvania. Same company that builds Sheppard steering gear boxes for these trucks.
    It has a Big Cam Cummins with N14 air to air on it, and a 13 SPD transmission. Rockwell rears with 3:70 gears and AG100 8 bag air ride. I called and talked to garage man at Sheppard, gave him the serial number on the bad engine and he confirmed it was the same engine they installed in 1995 when the truck was new. Was good to have a little history on it. I went to the local KW dealer, gave them the serial number and they printed like 9 pages giving every detail of what the truck was sold with. Might do that yourself and put it in a file...??

Attached Files:

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  7. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    Interesting the N14 intake where the aftercooler should be.
    Is the engine rebuildable or do you have to get a new block?

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  8. OLDSKOOLERnWV

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    The engine I took out should be rebuildable, I need to drop the crank and check the block to make sure. Truck came with a replacement engine that only had about 8-10,000 miles on complete inframe overhaul, main reason I bought it.
    Hopefully the old engine has a good block. I need to pull the crank and check to see if it spun a bearing. I can have it Line bored if it has but.... I tore into the extra engine since no paperwork was available for the supposed in frame overhaul. I found the part #'s still on the piston skirts, and the cross hatch in the liners was amazing. Rod and main bearings looked as like you just took them out of the box. I also tore the radiator apart and put a new core in it. Your truck is running and driving so you got the jump on me lol :D.

Attached Files:

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. Ristow

Ristow Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Fema Region 5
    very nice. i like the W9's best too. the cadillac of trucks. we ran KW's (T600) all thru the 1990's,switching over to 379's after that. the Petes are like comparing a chevy to a Cadillac.

10. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    Comparing KW to Cadillac is appropriate, but Peterbilt to Chevy isn't. In the 70s, my dad said that KWs were like Caddies and Petes were like Lincolns. The luxury is there in both, as well as the quality, but it is just different.

You want to compare to Chevy? Freightliner fits that description!

11. Ristow

Ristow Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Fema Region 5
    freightliner is more like a 80's mazda. lol!

OLDSKOOLERnWV and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.