Finding good insurance and a surety bond

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Maximuswood, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Maximuswood

Maximuswood Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2019
    Im looking into buying my first truck and starting a business.

I just got off the phone with ooida insurance asking for preapproval like an idiot because ooidas help guide says i need to be preapproved before i can file for my authority. But to even get a quote, i need to have a truck. So really, all i can get are ballpark quotes

So, the reason im posting.

●They told me that as the owner of the company, id have to be insured to drive the truck even though i wont be driving it, ill be hiring a couple drivers.
    ●They said the drivers that i hire would be required to have at least 9years of driving history to be insured...
    ●They quoted a ballpark guess of clean record drivers, including myself at $1,300 a month
    ●they said it was a 1mil primary liability coverage and 100k for cargo insurance
    ●they said they do not do surety bonds, so where do i get a surety bond preapproval as per ooida guide to becoming an owner operator (self broker)
    ●$2,000 downpayment to start the insurance

Does all that sound right? Is there a better insurance coverage out there, or any not requiring such lengthy employee history as 9years...?

Im calling back now to confirm their $1300/mn ballpark quote as i dont recall then saying it was weekly or monthly

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Why would you have a surety bond unless you're going to broker loads?

4. Maximuswood

Maximuswood Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2019
    @Cat sdp ill look into progressive if ooida repeats that same outrageous details in our next phone call.

@wichris i want to look into being my own broker, so i need to eventually get all that. Meanwhile, i know a broker to dish out loads for me

5. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    About the only thing I see outrageous is 9 years experience. Having yourself insured doesn't cost extra, insurance is per vehicle. Not un-common to have 20-30% down for insurance. Without experience/good credit you'll be stuck with surety bonds from the likes of Pacific financial or other low rate bonds.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.