Finding loads

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by garrett2905, Mar 2, 2007.

1. garrett2905

garrett2905 Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2007
    My brother-in-law owns a large roofing company and recently purchased a tractor/trailer to haul shingles to different states in which he does business. In the "off-season" when the truck isn't being used for hauling shingles, I was thinking about keeping it on the road to make some extra money. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me the best way to find loads and kind of explain how the process would work.. thanks .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. singhtrucks

singhtrucks Bobtail Member

May 17, 2007
    I would like to know how to get loads without dealing with brokers Is that possiable? I am in the Long Island NY area i want know how to go about to get direct what companies are good? PLEASE HELP

4. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    Be a sales man and start making sales calls.

5. Sergeant-Scream

Sergeant-Scream Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Gallipolis,Ohio
    LOL well what do you know, I posted needing a driver, got a call from someone saying they are looking to driver heavy haul, we got to talking and he mentioned that it is paying about 5$ a mile, lol, I called the company he directed me to and they said they are making about 3.43 to 2.32 on the average, now what loads and types of trailers are paying the best? I am defiantly in need of a company or something soon before the truck has to be sold!!! Please give me some companies names, and types of trailers that are paying well!

6. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    I can't tell ya what is pang well, BUT...I can tell that I would not advise buying any car haul equipment....., Wana buy a car hauler?????....LOL...LOL...

7. 550hpW900L

550hpW900L Road Train Member

Jan 29, 2008
    norcal
    I wouldnt buy any HH equipment either unless you know the bizz.

8. churches

churches Bobtail Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Laconia, IN
    I am new on here, and really would like some help. My husband is going back into otr. How do i find him loads, do we use a broker or go to a load board. There are so many and our lifely hood depends on me not making a huge mistake. Can anyone please give me a honest, trustworthy advise.

Thank you in advance

9. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    The best loads never make it to load boards . You need to find a good broker and establish a good relationship with him or maybe a few brokers . It takes time but brokers will call carriers that have proven best service in the past to service their best shippers

10. broncrider

broncrider Road Train Member

well, if you have to find him loads i assume your goin to be running your own authority, or have leased a truck onto schnieder, landstar, greatwide or one of those types of outfits

if you are running your own authority, first step is get your OWN shippers, next step would be get signed up for internettruckstop, or getloaded....use the credit check feature. also look into factoring companies if you cant afford to wait up to 3 months to get paid

if you are leasing on somewhere, use thier load board

either way you need to know the cost of operation (for ALL miles), and the minimum amount you will run for.....be prepared to sit, alot, waiting for something that would meet your needs by mileage, but by sitting you are spending money and not earning any

i guess the third option is he is a company driver, in which case you have nothing to worry about

really, we could use more pertant information as concerning your current situation to give more detailed answers

11. churches

churches Bobtail Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Laconia, IN
    RickG, thank you for the advise. We have been debating on leasing onto a company, but which one? Or, going on our own. I believe going on our on is best but who knows I hear so much about all area's. Company drivers have good and bad stories as o/o, i know one thing it's a tough time for everyone right now. However, I think we would make a little more money on our on.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.