Fired for open container ticket

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by gnp57, Jul 3, 2009.

1. gnp57

gnp57 Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I was recently fired because I received an open container ticket while I was in my car. I paid the ticket and three months later I was fired by my trucking company. This is the only ticket I have on my record. No moving violations or felonies or other misdemeanors.

I am trying to regain my bearings. Does anyone know if this is a huge obstacle in getting another trucking job ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Perhaps not a "huge" obstacle. Try a smaller company.

gnp57 Thanks this.
  4. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    One thing many fail to realize is that when you have a CDL you are treated as a "profesional driver" and that is carried to all vehicles you operate.

5. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Absolutely right! Once you pass the standards for a CDL, you are no longer a "4 wheeler" when it comes to the rules of the road. You are supposed to know better.

With an "open container" citation, you present to the insurers a liability, and perhaps , a propensity to be a drinker, so your liability is an issue the companies try to steer away from.

6. Thomas0810

Thomas0810 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2007
    BlueRidge Texas
    we are held to a higher standard that is why tickets in your car affect your ability to get employment as well as tickets in a semi will affect your insurance rates on your automobile

silverlayke and BoDarville01 Thank this.
  7. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    :biggrin_25516:An open container, you say? Not very smart. That's equal to DUI. Lecture time. Protect your license, use your head, adjust your drinking habits, as you have found out, one "cold one" has put the skids on your career. You now have the ticket on your record plus a termination from your previous company. ( alcohol related):biggrin_25516:

1nonly Thanks this.
  8. ghostchild

ghostchild Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Seems most of these companies today spend more time collecting data and files about you than anything else....

I have no 'open container' and companies still scrutinize my application....looking for any reason to not hire...

Find a good owner/ operator to work for....

9. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

So what? Would you rather a company just ask "so...have you ever had any drug, drinking, driving, murder violations? No? do you pinky swear?"

10. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    LOL....pinky swear.....that is rich..so rich......my sides are hurting!:biggrin_25526:

ziggystyles Thanks this.
  11. statikuz

statikuz Medium Load Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Reno Nevada
    Its their money, they have every reason to look for any reason. :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.